Question: Anybody Tried Yoga?

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I started about a month ago and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Background:
I'm 57, trying to quit smoking & havn't done any hard exercise to speak of in 10-15 years. Thankfully I'm not that overweight. 10bs and I'd be at my ideal weight for my small 5'7" frame. Blood pressure is high tho, have had to take low dose bp meds since my 40s. And the doc tells me every time I have low "good" cholesterol. So while I still gotta improve my diet and cut out the cigs I think I'm on to something on the old exercise front.

This Yoga stuff is easier (to me anyway) than running, weights, aerobics, etc and seems to get you going in the right direction quicker. Also it's easier for me to stick with than anything else I've ever tried to do. I've yet to loose much weight, but I've lost some of the gut. My muscles are toning up like I've been lifting weights but I'm getting flexable as a cat. Lung capacity is up, despite my lapses in the quitting cigs. My posture is better than I can remember. Besides the cigs I just need to start doing better with the diet. Less junk and fried stuff.

I actually think this Yoga is something I can stick with. If you havn't tried it I suggest you give it ago.
Especially if
1)you hate routine exercise as much as I do,
2)want something that really works and yet is easy on your old bones, and
3)could use some relaxation and de stressing along with your workout.

I don't love it, but it's ubiquitous for actors, and something that I have to practice and teach.

It's also very helpful and therapeutic for my fellow young adult cancer survivors in treatment and are limited with respect to physical activity.

I enjoy yoga. It really helps me loosen up and stretch. It really helps with my balance too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can’t do it. Thinking about it reminds me of all the times I saw women in NYC wearing undersized yoga pants. Folds of fat, butt cracks, and even labia smashed out in all directions for the world to see. I shudder when I hear the word yoga.

I just can’t do it. Thinking about it reminds me of all the times I saw women in NYC wearing undersized yoga pants. Folds of fat, butt cracks, and even labia smashed out in all directions for the world to see. I shudder when I hear the word yoga.

lol. Thankfully I haven't see much of that. It has't really caught on here in small town Alabama. I've been working out of this old classic from the used book store
6631576-M.jpg

Once every 6 weeks or so we go the Athens GA to visit my father in law in the nursing home and stay a couple of nights with my brother in law. He has a reg gym membership and a reg 2x a week yoga class and I go as a guest with him. Done that 1x and will be back over there in a week or 2 and will get another class. His class ranges from a few overweight gals to some really good looking ones, plus 2-3 old male farts like us.

I'm in pretty good aerobic shape and I do balance exercises to help my trail running, but I could probably use the yoga to help on the flexibility front.

It's cool to see how underdeveloped your core/balance is once you start exploring stuff like yoga or SUPing. Boxing, too.

I'm starting a yoga on my paddleboard regimen this week. Assuming I don't drown on the first day.

I was sidelined with a yoga related injury (yeah, go ahead and laugh) and am limited to a few stretches in the morning. Plus I'm lazy.

This has always been me, but the OP is making me reconsider this mindset.

I used to practice it before surf sessions and it helped put the mind and body in a great place.
I use the same breathing techniques when stretching before a bike ride (after a warm up) now.

The only yoga I have done was part of the P90X program but I enjoyed it. The bottome line with exercise is the best exercise is the one you will do. So if you enjoy it, keep doing it. I'm sure you can probably pull up some workouts on youtube or something too if you get bored with a routine.

And good on you for making changes. Eating better and some exercise is great for the body and the brain.

I've thought about it for flexibility since I'm not that flexible and I've got a number of joint issues...knees, wrist, neck, hip that I thought it might help with. But I don't have enough time right now to squeeze in another hour of exercise.

I keep saying I'm going to try a class at the gym. I need to improve my flexibility quite a bit. Maybe I'll give it a go.

I do a form of it, but not as often lately as I should. Really helps with balance, strength, and when I stick to the regimen for awhile the wife says she really notices the difference :shrug:.

Back