I worked out on an elliptical for the first time

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Our hotel in Vegas had a great gym in it, so instead of my usual run I made use of the cool toys they had indoors. I started out with 25 brisk minutes on the elliptical, then 20 on a stationary bike, and then ran 20-30 on the treadmill.

The elliptical interested me because I have been considering one for the house for bad-weather days. I knew I was in trouble because the motions were different than running, and the stride much longer, but I kept at it. Sure enough, when I got off it I could hardly walk - it was like trying to get my "land legs" back after a few days at sea. I was stumbling around like a drunk. :grin:

Then, predictably, I woke up the next day with VERY sore legs. They still hurt, especially after I have been sleeping or sitting down for a while. And not just a little bit either... yikes!

So the next morning I stuck with the treadmill. The end.

Not a shot at ellipticals, this shirt just makes me chuckle.

0d174484e509293bc400737445a77417.jpg

I'm an elliptical and rowing machine guy. Hate the treadmill and bike (even though I love to actually bike).

I'm sure I could get used to the elliptical, and I should have kept my time on it shorter, being a newb at it and all.

I didn't like the stationary bike much either. I was fine with the treadmill - funny, because the first time I tried one a while back I couldn't figure out how to match my pace to the speed of the treadmill. It was like the cartoons when guys keep falling or getting slung off the back of the machine. This time it was not a problem.

I like the elliptical a lot although I get a better workout with the stairmill or just getting out and running.

Ellipticals are nice, but I prefer stair mills or biking. I like running, but my knees start hurting after about 20 minutes, so I do a lot of ellipticals in the winter or if I can’t get to a gym with a stair mill.

I hate Ellipticals. I do the treadmill and occasionally add the bikes or stair stepper.

I had never did one either. When I joined the health club there was a gal riding one so I figured I could easily out do her. I made it about 8 or 9 minutes and had to quit. I put my tail between my legs and left the area. She was still going at the same fast pace. It did get easier every time I did it though.

I do the elliptical machines 3-4 hours per week at the gym. I prefer them over treadmills and bikes. I get my heart rate up higher on them and thus burn more calories. To the OP: Raise the angle on the machine. It will shorten the stroke.

My wife can't use them because her feet go numb after about 15 minutes.

We've got an elliptical that hardly gets used - might get used more at the new place. When we go to the gym I usually hit the treadmill, but I do prefer outside running when I feel like running.

Get one of these...elliptical and bike :shrug: all in one

eliprical06.jpg

No I would never ride one. I've seen a guy on one a few times...they look silly and they're too slow for me

You have to work up to ellipticals to avoid the soreness. But once you do you can get a cardio workout and not even know it. I used to use them so much that I could do thirty minutes at 150 BPM while reading dense nonfiction. These days I prefer stair mills because I can really feel myself working out.

Dang, I love the elliptical. I burn more calories on that than the treadmill. It forces me to work harder. And its easier on my knees.

Problem is going to the gym to use it.

Back