Show us your bike

Tri-flow is plenty fine. Avoid WD-40 since it is mostly a solvent and not a lubricant.
Some claim it picks up a bit more dust than the Dumonde tech, which is also teflon based. YMMV, and for a "getting around" bike, it is not as critical as a mountain bike that will see significant use in the dust and sand, or a fine road bike that has really expensive parts. But the main thing is not to overlube. @Tig's more detailed directions are what I was basically saying, but with more helpful detail.

PS, I am seriously thinking about trying the paraffin and kerosene method on my road bike, but will wait until I get a new chain and cassette next time. Otherwise,I would have to spend a bunch of time taking off the nice SRAM stock lube that comes on the chain from the factory. It would be nice if SRAM sold a consumer version of that stuff so it could be freshened up as needed, rather than having to convert over to something else. But it is not sold that way yet. The SRAM chains are good stuff, and work perfectly fine with Shimano or whatever parts as well.

Simple green is fine around the house stuff (and works great on coffee makers/roasters which is where it was developed for IIRC) but for degreasing and general bike clean up, I like to use an APC, diluted accordingly for the job. You can use anything from LA Totally Awesome (dollar store) to paint-safe auto APCs, like Chemical Guys All Clean+

w/r/t paraffin, I really suspect the efficiency benefit is outweighed the increased maintenance effort. I'm fine w/ squirting R&R Gold right out of the bottle.

Um. Oops.

sa8eby7u.jpg

u5u2y4e8.jpg

You had me at "Maxxis". :embarrassed:
I was showing off the clay I got into at the top of an out and back climb. Got caught in the rain, and trail conditions were good in the natural gravel and dirt conditions, until the very top when I got into a 100 foot stretch of clay that led up to the end of the trail and the view. It totally packed out my Maxxis 2.4 Ardent in the front, so that it about stopped my front wheel. i had to pull out great globs of it and grass it mixed with by hand. the 2.1 Ignitor in the rear did not pack out as much. I love that tire combo for our conditions. We never get clay generally. I had some clean up to do right after that photo was taken.

Rode another 50 miler today. Half gravel, half sweet rail to trail, and about four city blocks of bushwacking through think brush to connect two roads. Still love, love, love my Salsa Vaya!

IMAG2078.jpg

Would!
Thanks. Now you have me looking at the Vaya 2.

Mine came geared for "Sport Touring" and I've pretty much replaced the whole drivetrain to get a low enough gear for loaded touring or steep mtn bike style climbs.

If I were doing it over I'd just get a frame and build up with 650b wheels for even fatter boots. Parts aside, I think Salsa has definitely found the sweet spot for fun with this frame's geometry.

I have one of these hybrid Nishiki's. I got it for free after making a donation to someone who was competing in a triathlon. He came in third and he won the bike but decided to give it to someone who made a donation to the cause. By default somehow I got it. :thu:
bike_264_1268921548_a8baa56554f96369ab93e4f3bb068c22.png

Rode another 50 miler today. Half gravel, half sweet rail to trail, and about four city blocks of bushwacking through thick brush to connect two roads. Still love, love, love my Salsa Vaya!

IMAG2078.jpg

If I were to get back to riding this is the type of bike I would have. If I had unlimited funds I'd have Carl Strong or Dave Kirk build it but either way, it would be very similar, even in color, to this bike. Love it.

If I were to get back to riding this is the type of bike I would have. If I had unlimited funds I'd have Carl Strong or Dave Kirk build it but either way, it would be very similar, even in color, to this bike. Love it.

I was lusting after a Lynskey until I rode one of the titanium Vayas. I loved the weight loss, but thought the ride quality was way too stiff. I was able to A/B test the ti and steel Fargos and felt the same way. I think Salsa could use lighter steel on the Vaya, but it might lead to more warranty issues. So yeah, a custom builder would be a great way to go for this kind of quiver killer frameset.

I've heard people diss the Swiss Army bicycle aspect of these not quite a cross bike but not quite a tourer either bikes, but for the kind of riding I do they're perfect. On Sunday's ride my mtn bike would've been overkill on the gravel roads and a drag to ride on the bike path. A pure road bike wouldn't have survived the gravel. My partner road a Surly LHT which did just fine, but I think the Vaya is more fun. :)

Last edited:
I I've heard people diss the Swiss Army bicycle aspect of these not quite a cross bike but not quite a tourer either bikes, but for the kind of riding I do they're perfect. On Sunday's ride my mtn bike would've been overkill on the gravel roads and a drag to ride on the bike path. A pure road bike wouldn't have survived the gravel. My partner road a Surly LHT which did just fine, but I think the Vaya is more fun. :)

I was probably one who would have dissed it at one point but I think if more people were honest, this is the style of bike they should be on. I know it is what I should be on. Think about it this way, tons of 45 year old 220lb guys spend way too much money to find a 15lb bike because it will make them faster on the group ride with the other 200+lb 45 year old buddies. They end up in a terribly uncomfortable position (and innapropriate outfit) and ride 30 miles at 20mph. They deal with sketchy traffic, rough roads for an inch wide tire, and fear a patch of sand.

I was sort of one of those guys. It makes more sense to me to have a bike like you have, wear a proper fitting shirt and just ride for a couple of hours. I can still ride 20-22mph on the road but I can ride on most surfaces without wiping out and it is far more comfortable all the way around. I had a cross bike and still wish I hadnt sold it sometimes.

Zoiks! There's a story behind that wheel. I'm guessing that since you took photos, you're alright.
Yeah it felt a little weird going into a sweeping left, then it tacoed. I went down over the front but fortunately just scraped an elbow and my knees. That is not so bad all things considered.

So now I need a new front wheel, for not much money. It is a 29 inch, quick release. I had it set up for tubeless with a Stan's kit. I will see if the kit is salvageable off the broken wheel. My local shop guy is looking, but most of what is around seems to be through axle of course. @IamSeaDevil , if he doesn't come up with anything, do you have anything?

Back