is there a home-brew / zymurgy thread around here?

Brewday!

Roughly based on Harviestoun Ptarmigan, which they stopped making, the buggers.

OG 1.045
FG 1.011
ABV 4.4%
IBU 40

MO - 90%
Crystal medium 4%
Wheat malt 4%
Sugar 2%

Hops
Challenger 34IBU 60mins 35g
Saaz 4 IBU 15mins 25g
Saaz 2.5IBU 5 mins 25g

S04

Mash at 67C

Might bump up the saaz or include a bit of challenger later on, will see what the hops are like once I open the packets. The saaz is 2012 harvest but they've been frozen and vacuum sealed

I've not used s04 in ages

I have a question for you guys....

Does anyone know of a source of cardboard, or possibly plastic, 24 x 12 oz beer bottles? I often bottle into 'used' 12 oz bottles, and after 5-6 uses, the cardboard holders are pretty shot. I'd like a hard plastic option to carry bottles around. What are you guys using????

I have a question for you guys....

Does anyone know of a source of cardboard, or possibly plastic, 24 x 12 oz beer bottles? I often bottle into 'used' 12 oz bottles, and after 5-6 uses, the cardboard holders are pretty shot. I'd like a hard plastic option to carry bottles around. What are you guys using????

Look out for old wooden soda or beer crates...might even find them on your local craigslist. I use a big old stainless steel container :wink:

Doing my first extract batch in forever tomorrow. APA recipe that I worked up off BCS that a bunch of guys from work are all brewing too. We got about 6 of us all brewing the same recipe to trade bottles in a couple weeks and the best part is that a few of the guys are brewing for the first time.

Look out for old wooden soda or beer crates...might even find them on your local craigslist. I use a big old stainless steel container :wink:

Doing my first extract batch in forever tomorrow. APA recipe that I worked up off BCS that a bunch of guys from work are all brewing too. We got about 6 of us all brewing the same recipe to trade bottles in a couple weeks and the best part is that a few of the guys are brewing for the first time.

Cool. I'll look out for those. I would have bet there was a cheap plastic solution.

check out this bottle I found the other day.
I got this at Harris Teeter
its a French sparkling lemonade so you know its strong enough to hold beer.

a few years ago every summer Target would sell this other sparkling lemonade
in an even cooler looking bottle with a little french chateau on it.
but they stopped selling it for some reason. I was able to get 6-7 bottles though
ive been using ever since.
the price is $4.99 per bottle which is kind of a lot for a bottle but the lemonade is pretty good.
I bottle about half a batch (5 gallons) in these and the rest in 12ozers.

the smaller one is 750mL
the bigger a full Litre
which is awesome
if you like to bottle like me

Last edited:
oh and before you say ..."but its clear OMG!"
it doesnt matter if you keep them out of sunlight.
even amber bottles let in some UV light eventually.

btw
The darkest bottles Ive found are westmalle
also they are the sexiest shape. expensive though!
I have about 1 case of them at like $5 for 2 bottles thats a lot of money lol
i probably have $500 in bottles laying around.
a full 2 cases of Anchor Steam bottles (my favorite USA bottle shape-very interesting) before they went to twist offs
2 cases of assorted Belgians (chimay, westmalle mostly) etc;
I juts dont like lame generic bottles, or bottles that have engraved logos like Sam Adams
or ugly ass green bottles like grolsch or heineken
yes, I am a bottle snob.

I like bottles to give away beer in, I try and get them back but its hard sometimes.
i hate loosing my good bottles to some half good looking drunk chick
but, waddya gonna do? such is life....

Last edited:
I'm an equal opportunities bottler :embarrassed: Any bottle I drink will be considered, as long as it's not a twist off but those are much less common here than I think they are on your side of the pond

My favourites are the various belgian ones and the german weiss ones as they tend to be tougher.

Those look cool.

I use amber 1L ez cap bottles, some old grolsch 15.2 oz ez-cap bottles, and a metric fuck ton of brown 12 0z Sam Adams bottles for bottling my stuff. I even have some 1 and 2 liter plastic soda bottles that I use sometimes.

btw y'all should invest in a good bench capper.
those winged or butterfly cappers suck,
they break and you cant cap every bottle.
for example the big heineken bottles the neck has too
much girth for a winged capper, you may get one or two on
but you can easily break the bottle trying to cap those.
(dont ask how I know)
the bench capper will cap any bottle, any size no problem.
ive had this one for a good 10 years. (made in italy-I believe its
a ferrari brand capper)
its adjustable for size and works like a dream.
it even has holes to screw it down to a table if you want.

I'm still using my trusty wing capper for the moment. Those look a lot better

Finally managed to brew today, did two beers, a 100% marris otter pale ale hopped with magnum and sorachi ace and a dark ale with MO, med crystal, roast barley and hopped with magnum, challenger and saaz, Overshot gravity by quite a lot and undershot final volume but didn't want to liquor back. meh, they'll be 6% instead of 5% :embarrassed:

Back