An Old Friend Comes Back...and Pickup Recommendations?

speakerjones

my hat is all
So, this was the guitar that I first discovered "good tone" with. I bought it when I was 18, along with a Laney Pro Tube Lead half stack.
It's a 1992 Hamer Special. I played it as my main guitar until I switched over to mainly playing drums. I've always loved this simple little tone machine. The neck is really comfy on it too. Just perfect

At some point in my 20's, I (foolishly) sold it to my best friend, who used it as a backup to his own Hamer, a sweet Studio model. Recently, he offered to sell it back to me. He can use the cash, and I've been without a P90 guitar for too long!

Which brings me to my request for pickup recommendations. At some point while he had it, he changed out the stock Duncan P90's for some sort of DiMarzio humbucking P100 type thing. I don't love them at all. What's your favorite P90? I really liked the Duncans that were in there. A little hotter than the classic P90, but still plenty of that character.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I haven't had time to clean her up yet or take some proper pics.

3e7d8fe43292ad9895318cac3938c689.jpg

why not just get another set of Duncan's, like were in it to begin with.

also.....if you have a little extra cash.....you could go with total hand made p-90's.....i've got pickup by Owen Duffy and i love them.....but not p-90's....yet.

www.ocduffpickups.com

apparently there's something wrong with Owen's website at the moment......check back later

no there's not.....it just takes a little while to load.

Last edited:
Congrats! Those are great guitars. Sheptone P90s are my favorites right now. I think he charged me $140 for the set new.

I think you gotta dance with the ones that brung ya...get the Dimarzios and get on with it...

Yeah, putting the same Duncan's back in seems the obvious way to go. I'm into experimenting a bit though, so I figured I'd see what people were digging.

Throbaks are the best P90 that I've ever heard. Nice guitar. Congrats on getting it back.

I ended up finding a good deal on a pair of SD Antiquities. Popped those in, cleaned up some questionable soldering and got some matching plastics. Oh man. I had almost forgotten how awesome P90's are. I brought it to my man Norm to smooth out some dings on the neck, and do a fret job. Now it plays like it did when I first bought it 20 years ago. I played it for hours last night. Welcome back old friend.

2461b75591b8f25848596e96b23788be.jpg

Back