Guitar Build 2017!

But this evening's job is to make a nut blank from this deer antler.

image.jpg

Naw. He loves this shit.

Yeah. I enjoy making it myself. Makes it more customized and stuff. Tone is in the hand carving, ya know? :wink:

BTW, the details we were discussing the other day. I think I've finally made my decisions. I gotta use the firebird pickups. Just have to.
Since I'm doing that, it pretty much frees me any Fender traditions. I'm gonna go with the big brother/little brother thing. I'll use a trap tail, 24.5" scale and the V headstock from the WG with another carved wood bridge. Probably use the same material as the fretboard like I did on WG as well, so either OO or maple for the fretboard and bridge.
The Firebird pickups and I'll use the same body shape as WG, so it'll be the big brother and the new one will be its 7/8 scale twin with a thin, solid body.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Check out the cupping on the OO board. There should be zero space between the board and the stickers. There wasn't any when I put them together but wood will move when drying. You can try and control it but it will happen.
But it seems to be losing water quickly. It's already 1/4" narrower than it was.

Last edited:
Elias, off-topic but did I see you are from Oklahoma? If so, where? We dropped my daughter off in Alva a few weeks ago, she is attending NWOSU. Beautiful state (my first time) but too damn flat!

Elias, off-topic but did I see you are from Oklahoma? If so, where? We dropped my daughter off in Alva a few weeks ago, she is attending NWOSU. Beautiful state (my first time) but too damn flat!

I'm in Oklahoma City but I grew up not far from Alva. Tiny school but nice.
I attended many a party in that town back in the day.

It's probably making really awesome creaking and groaning noises as it dries...

That was my knee.

Anybody want to see a drought? Check out the growth rings on this wood I cut last week. The three rings closest to the outside show the drought of the last three years in tiny growth rings.

image.jpg

I trimmed the board a little closer to actual length today.
This stuff acts like it's already dry. Sands beautifully.
And I've been measuring it carefully each day. That's one method of checking for dryness. Funny thing is, on day 2, it cupped and shrank quite a bit but since then, it hasn't lost any more size.
I know thin stock will dry quickly but no way it should be through shrinking at 8 days.
I've read that OO is highly dimensionally stable. Maybe that accounts for some of it.

Made a great finishing score today, too. Some guy on TDPRI built himself a mess of teles and finished with shellac. He was putting all his leftover supplies up for grabs for the cost of shipping. I got about $60 of stuff, including 6 oz of blonde shellac flakes and 3 oz of black flakes.

Last edited:
Alright, ran the OO through the planer again and brought it down to a little over 3/8". No point in drying wood that's getting shaved off anyway. It seems to have stopped moving, so I figured it was safe.

image.jpg

The knot doesn't stay. It'll get chopped eventually. Damn, this is a fine looking hunk of lumber!

Also, been working on getting the body blank boards jointed. The more I look at them, the less I like them for a top. To remedy that, I cut a new top for it! :grin: That will also allow me to chamber the body and more easily do a rear rout for controls. What do you think?

image.jpg

Back