Gah! PC mouse stopped working

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Anything I can try to do to make sure what is wrong, before I go out and buy a new mouse?

The on-screen pointer will move slightly from time to time, but I get that 'bong' sound of an error from the PC.

I've no idea on how to navigate around the menus without a mouse though...

That's just weird... Do you have another computer in the house where you can borrow the mouse? For this test to work properly it has to be the same connector type (PS/2 or USB) and plugged into the same port. Just to figure out if it's the mouse or the port.

Power off the PC. Unplug the mouse. Maybe try a different USB port unless it is an old mouse. Plug in, then power up.
If it is still screwed go buy a $12 mouse at Fry's or someplace like it.

Slight variation on Tig's advice.

1. Switch off computer.
2. Boot up without mouse.
3. Plug mouse into other port.
4. Wait for stuff to install in the background.

If it's still intermittent, then it's most likely fecked. Is it wired? Cable's probably breaking at the weak point where it exits the mouse.
If it's wireless then obviously you should be trying a new battery.

Borrowed a mouse from my mom, one of her old ones. Works just fine, so I guess my mouse is fried :(

It's a little heavy on the buttons, and I do have a bit of wrist pain sometimes from an old factory injury/playing guitar/playing a lot of PC games.

I need to find a nice ergonomic gaming mouse that has nice and light button clicks.

Reactions: Tig
Back