Paynt.

Thanks! So far, I have been responsible for taking it all apart, realizing that the body was structurally unsound and farming out the work to fix it. Twice.

Yes, twice.
The first guy covered up some rust with foil body tape and filler.
The worst part I'd that it was in the rocker panel which is structural.
Even the work that he did wasn't great and most of it has been redone.

He has since disappeared.

The guy doing the work now is a friend and is known for being meticulous. If I'd known him earlier, he would have gotten the job from the get go.
He's done more work for less money than the first guy.

My biggest fear now is that I will do something to screw all of his great work.

If you took it apart, you know how it goes back together :)

Be careful of the new paint, use masking tape anywhere two panels are going to be fitted, like the hood over the fenders, or the leading edge of the door to the fender. Don't be like me and try to put a bumper on by yourself. Get a helper! :)

If you took it apart, you know how it goes back together :)

Be careful of the new paint, use masking tape anywhere two panels are going to be fitted, like the hood over the fenders, or the leading edge of the door to the fender. Don't be like me and try to put a bumper on by yourself. Get a helper! :)

I took it apart 10 years ago... I cant' find the car keys I used yesterday.

It's going to stay in primer for much of the assembly, then I'll get the final exterior finish done. But still, I'm gong to be very careful.
I'm even looking into wrapping it up in something that won't mess with the primer - haven't figured it out yet though.

I took it apart 10 years ago... I cant' find the car keys I used yesterday.

It's going to stay in primer for much of the assembly, then I'll get the final exterior finish done. But still, I'm gong to be very careful.
I'm even looking into wrapping it up in something that won't mess with the primer - haven't figured it out yet though.

We used to just throw a sheet of visqueen over the car and tape it down. That kept dust, dirt and stuff from scratching and scraping up the primer coat until we were ready to put color on it.

I worked as an apprentice for a very talented restoration guy in Columbia, SC back in the 80s. We specialized in Rolls Royce, Bentley, Austin Healey, Jaguar etc. Since I was the young greenhorn, I got stuck with all the grunt work, disassembly, stripping and water sanding. LOTS of water sanding!

When is your next vacation?
You'd like Niagara.
Do you eat a lot?
Do you snore?
Yes
Yes, very LOUDLY

:wink:

I remember I was watersanding a 1970 E Type. I'd been sanding on it for days, and I thought I was ready for the next step, buffing with machine compound. I went and got Bob, the proprietor/painter/guru. He ran his hand down a fender, down a quarter, and said "no" get back to watersanding. I wasn't even close. Ten more coats of lacquer. A month later, I felt like Ralph Macchio. I did learn a lot from that guy though. He didn't use Bondo, it was forbidden in the shop. Lead only.

Moar pics!

It's ready for me to pick up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408574945.907828.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408574955.816081.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408574964.373868.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408574973.066661.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408574983.807476.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408574994.897889.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408575004.334826.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408575012.409786.jpg

The plan is to do a bunch of assembly and then once it's on it's own 4 wheels, I'll get the exterior panels painted.
Then, I'll do final assembly.

There is nothing quite like the smell an engine puts off the first time it's fired up.

i don't know......that smell has always given me the shivers......the "hot almost burning metal" smell.....kinda like the same smell, just before they blow up.

i don't know......that smell has always given me the shivers......the "hot almost burning metal" smell.....kinda like the same smell, just before they blow up.
Ha, yes it's similar. But it's more the smell of black header paint and orange enamel on the block getting hot for the first time.

Back