Chicago Blues Documentary (1972)

its very interesting in that it was made in the early 70's and there is a lot of discussion about the social issues and pressures of the day on black Chicagoans as well. Black Americans in general, but specific to Chicago for this film.

its very interesting in that it was made in the early 70's and there is a lot of discussion about the social issues and pressures of the day on black Chicagoans as well. Black Americans in general, but specific to Chicago for this film.

Agreed.

The interesting part for me is that I never lived or felt the blues as was pointed out. Never until my mom passed a couple of years ago and went into a place that I have never visited before. As I started going back to the jams, my vocals and the way I played my phrasing began to reflect what I was feeling. It is very interesting that I have expanded from there and was able to take it further to where I am 2 years later. I don't wish anyone to go through that but we all will or have. Music for me is a real true savior for the soul as it really has helped me get through difficult times.

This is interesting (I'm currently on the 43rd minute), and am really enjoying it.

However, I have to say that I still hold the opinion that it's a conceit to say "you have to be black to sing the blues" (there are ad nauseam recitations of similar statements in this film). There are no firm admission criteria for any sort of music...

Back