Oh-oh, now I've got a serious case of ASS

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
For those that don't know, ASS is like GAS: Astronomy Stuff acquisition Syndrome. :embarrassed:

So the wildly successful West Texas astro trip left me wanting more. I've already made reservations to go there again in December.

Which brings us to the ASS - here is what my inner gearhead is screaming for, in approximate order of likelihood:

1. A better shroud for the reflector. This isn't too expensive so it is going to happen soon.

2. Replace my 22mm Panoptic eyepiece with the 22mm Nagler. Better eye relief (important for me since I have to wear glasses) and wider field of view. Alternative - get a 17mm Nagler and keep using the 22mm Pan.

3. Get a new higher-power eyepiece for the dob. 14.5mm Delos (expensive) or 14.7mm Ethos (crazy expensive).

4. Nebula filters - 2" OIII and 2" H-Beta (I have never had an OIII, and my H-Beta is a 1 1/4").

And, last but not least,

5. A shiny new minivan to haul it all in. :facepalm:

By the way, this is just between us guys. Nobody better let my wife know.

Oh come on, we all know the wives are super understanding. Remember, they put up with all the musical stuff. :rolleyes:

ASS Update:

For item #1, I have exchanged some emails with the shroud seamstress and sent her dimensions and pics. I should have it in about a month. I'm pretty stoked about this - it won't make the views through the scope any better, but it sure will make it look nicer. It should also shed wind better than the standard, looser-fitting shroud.

So far the vendor has been a real pleasure to work with. If anyone is interested in getting a big scope or shroud made I'll be happy to share a link.

2. Ordered the Nagler 22mm, but it is on backorder. Bah!

3. Can't make up my mind. This one may stay on hold for a while.

4. Filters ordered and received.

5. I may actually trade in for a minivan.(I'm kinda tired of our cars anyway). I'm going to wait until the 15's come out before doing any serious looking though.

Back