Things were going well this week until...

B Valley

Rattlesnake Shaker
Until Thursday morning. I got an email from the highest person at one of my client's facilities that says something like "Mr. Valley, your employee attended a meeting this morning and while he was here, someone said he smelled of alcohol. He said he was drinking last night while out bowling but hadn't had anything to drink after 10:embarrassed:0 last night. Our chief security officer asked him to submit to a breathalyzer test and he refused. His clearance is being pulled and he is being driven home for his own safety." This was around 9:embarrassed:0 am.

Two seconds later the employee calls me in a panic and asks what he should do. I told him if he hasn't had anything to drink after 10:embarrassed:0 the night before, or that morning, he should be fine. He said he hadn't. I told him to go take the test and he calls me back ten minutes later to say he offered to take it and they said no. Apparently they took him to his car, our company vehicle, and he drove himself home. I called him and told him to get to a clinic and get tested immediately to prove his innocence and call me as soon as he does. By now it's 11:embarrassed:0 am and he calls to say "I'm okay, I blew a .02, twice!". I said "You should have blown a zero". I quickly check with our attorney who calls a friend very knowledgeable in such matters. His friend provides a schedule used by most courts that shows if he was .02 at 11:embarrassed:0, he would have been somewhere around a .07 at the meeting and at 6:embarrassed:0 around .12.
A blood alcohol level for drunk driving is .08 in this state and most others I believe. To make matters worse, he actually arrived on site at 5:embarrassed:0 am and would have left home somewhere around 4:30, and I have no idea what his blood alcohol would have been then. But he was driving a company vehicle, way above the legal limit and on a very high security site where they keep folks who are no longer allowed to be out in the general population. My company and our client both have Zero Tolerance rules.

I had begged this guy to come to work for me for a year before I hired him and HR had to bend over backward for me to get him everything he asked for and now he's gone. He knew when it happened he was gone and is finishing up some details. I'll have to drive four hours to go meet with him to make it official.
I couldn't be more distraught over this. This is genuine great guy who screwed up and knows it.

That sucks...for you...

In this zero tolerance age people just cannot afford to be stupid, even for one minute...when I was driving trucks we were subject to yearly AND random drug and alcohol screenings...I don't know how many guys got bounced for just one too many...when your livelihood depends on your license, or your reputation, screw ups are fatal...

My reputation depends on the quality of my people, and we provide very specific work that not a lot of folks do. I'm sure we're the talk of the town now.

A refusal to test usually means a permanent bar from working in the industry. If your man refused to take that test as requested by your client, and they submitted his refusal to the Fed, that's what he's looking at. There is no forgiveness or 2nd chance for refusing to test. I'm the manager of a Drug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Program mandated by the FAA Drug Abatement Division. Those guys carry stones where most people have hearts. And, because the FAA has nothing better to do they're studying the impact of caffeine and nicotine on maintenance human factors, just to give you an idea of their soft spot for personal freedoms.

Sorry to hear this but your professionalism can't be 2nd fiddle to a personal acquaintance. He dropped you in the grease. I hope it all works out for the better.

Sorry to hear it man. That was a choice on his part, however, so as much as it sucks....he did that to himself and harmed you in the process.

I suppose I should be angrier about it and not saddened. This could conceivably lose this contract for us and put others out of work. Just last week I met with the Southwest Regional Manager and bragged about my top-notch group.
Our attorney says that statistics show one in ten people have an alcohol problem, and it's something they work with all the time. We have over three thousand people in the US and Canada. That's a lot of potential for such issues. I hope this is the last time I have to let someone go for it.

I suppose I should be angrier about it and not saddened. This could conceivably lose this contract for us and put others out of work. Just last week I met with the Southwest Regional Manager and bragged about my top-notch group.
Our attorney says that statistics show one in ten people have an alcohol problem, and it's something they work with all the time. We have over three thousand people in the US and Canada. That's a lot of potential for such issues. I hope this is the last time I have to let someone go for it.

I had to do it once, too. Cried that night about it. Guy was trying to get his life together, but hit the bottle again, didnt show up for work for 2 days, came in smelling like booze asking forgiveness. Had to let him go...

It's never an easy thing to deal with, but realize that if he were to get by with it, he would likely do it again at some point. The best thing you can do for him is to make him face the consequences of the action. Those that have a real problem (and this guy might not have a problem, but just made a mistake), don't change until they accept responsibility, and face the consequences.

Short term, this just suck for you B Valley, but if this guy has a problem, then long term, you're doing him a favor by making him face this.

It sucks that u put yourself on the line hiring him and now this. Bottom line is he made his choices and must accept them. Hopefully this is the bottom he needs.

Back