Have any of you guys used this book?

Sorry that my name is not listed but the answer is no.

I studied jazz theory with this book. This is the book that was recommended to me by Norman Brown who was one of my instructors at MI (GIT). This is what Norman was studying from and I recommend it! Granted also that your students have some theory knowledge.

upload_2014-8-20_14-6-11.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Jazz-Language-Composition-Improvisation/dp/0760400148

I've not either.

To be honest, just to get rock players physically playing basic jazz harmony the Jody Fischer Jazz Guitar series are good if a bit simplistic. If they are trying to become function for a high school jazz program this might be best for them: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...&tag=markweinguita-20&linkId=X2EGJVNLN4P4B37M

its full of simple exercises that gets them comping and gives them functional grasp on how it all works.

Randy, that looks good. Is it guitar centric or for all instruments?

Mark, I used that book and the intermediate one with adult students interested in beginning jazz, but I need something I can use with guitar and bass, since I have both in the jazz bands, as well as a couple in lab bands.

Mark, I used that book and the intermediate one with adult students interested in beginning jazz, but I need something I can use with guitar and bass, since I have both in the jazz bands, as well as a couple in lab bands.

Yes it is. It is a college text so the focus is on just jazz theory.
As for application to guitar and bass - if a student has a good grasp of theory in general, applying the concepts to their primary instrument will be a breeze provided that they put in the extra work.

I would look for a bass specific book then. Having things written specifically for the instrument for kids helps quite a bit. Expecting them to internalize theory from a page and then use it in class doesn't always go so well IRL.

Good book IMO. Not an introductory study at all. It has its criticisms - mainly too much reliance on chord scale theory and all that comes with that - but I found it to be a good resource if it's limitations are kept in mind.

Back