Attention! The Official Slide Guitar Thread

I made the slide vow a couple years ago but never said when it would start. Anyway, I got the glass slide for the pinky finger because my own limited logic told me to. Freeing up the 1st three fingers to fret with made much more sense than splitting them by putting a slide on the ring finger. I did make some slo-mo advances using it but the old dog, new tricks impatience usually kills the spirit.

I got one of those too. I can't get it properly sit on my finger.

An authentic Coricidin bottle will go for upwards of $60 on eBay. Thanks, Duane.
It's actually the only slide I'm comfortable with. I wish it were heavier though.

I made the slide vow a couple years ago but never said when it would start. Anyway, I got the glass slide for the pinky finger because my own limited logic told me to. Freeing up the 1st three fingers to fret with made much more sense than splitting them by putting a slide on the ring finger. I did make some slo-mo advances using it but the old dog, new tricks impatience usually kills the spirit.
If I could, I would wear it on the pinky too. I just can't get the control and wrist angle right. I've adapted to be able to fret anyway and at this point don't feel any disadvantage.

I love the Arlen Roth book for learning slide. It covers a lot of territory and styles. There's a link somewhere around here, Mark?

I've tried a thin brass slide, a heavy steel one, an actual Coricidin bottle, an actual bottle neck, but i've settled on the Dunlop glass. I think it's pyrex, really.

I have a Gretsch Americana I got for $36 from Overstock.com
P11266362a.jpg
tuned to open D: D A D F♯ A D

I've tried a thin brass slide, a heavy steel one, an actual Coricidin bottle, an actual bottle neck, but i've settled on the Dunlop glass. I think it's pyrex, really.

I have a Gretsch Americana I got for $36 from Overstock.com
P11266362a.jpg
tuned to open D: D A D F♯ A D

This guy Matt Smith is hilarious as well as informative.

Happy New Slide Day!
slide1.JPG
slide2.JPG

Well here are my slides (a couple more not pictured are tucked away in guitar cases). I feel like trying a new one every couple of years. I just bought this glass slide from Silica Sound and absolutely love it. Thick real glass walls. It's tapered on the inside so fits snug on the tip of your finger. The extra mass at the end feels real good when playing. Iin the pic on the left, the slide on the left end is a Silica Sound that I bought years ago. At the time, they all has thin walls. I liked it but always wished they would make them with thicker glass. Now they do. It arrived today and I am thrilled with it. Wouldn't change a thing.

I've always thought the Silica Sound slides looked like they'd be nice to play because they look more organic and not a machine molded piece of glass. I'll have to get one now.

Les Dudek is perhaps one of the most under rated slide players around.
Very unique phrasings and incredible pitch!
Check out the solo at the 2:35 mark.

I've always thought the Silica Sound slides looked like they'd be nice to play because they look more organic and not a machine molded piece of glass. I'll have to get one now.
Absolutely. They say each one is hand-blown. I got mine from them thru eBay. They ask $20 for Buy It Now. There is an option to make an offer. I offered $18 and got it.

I like steel on acoustic and glass on electric. Right now both mine are Dunlops, on the heavy side.
I go back and forth between the ring and pinky, depending on what I want to do chord wise with my other fingers in the song. pinky gets the most use tho.
I usually play in standard, although I do use open G a bit.

I'm one of the few that use my middle finger (insert joke here)... When I started almost 50 years ago I played slide standard tuning using my Strat on my lap.

I have a Chandler 6 str lap in C6, but I havnt really learned C6, it's kind of a bugger.
Also have a sq neck Regal reso in Bluegrass high G, which I do get along with pretty well.

I put a set of 12's that I had lying around on this guitar yesterday and then added two more springs to block the bridge back. The string height ended up perfect to play slide with although the strings I put on are flat wounds and the guitar isn't super bright to start with...I'll order something a little brasher in the string department soon...maybe a different slide as well...this sounds nice in my office but I think it'll get lost on stage.

11072124_10153291035947425_5907139185191260105_n.jpg

Back