What "cookups" are you Paleo/Whole 30 folks doing?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I need some new inspiration. I've been off the wagon for a while and part of it is just getting food cooked for a few days worth of meals.

I don't know if this fits the Paleo thing, but here is my current favourite quick and easy dinner:

6-8 oz. of grilled/rotisserie/baked chicken breast
1 bag of Birds Eye Steamfresh veggies

Heat up skillet or a wok while veggies cook in microwave (in the bag). Once pan is hot, put in a bit of olive oil and add chicken, just warming it up and lightly coating it. Add veggies, turn heat on high and stir-fry until everything is warm. Add some salt and black pepper if you want, then finish with a drizzle of an herbed olive oil.

You can go with all fresh veggies or even eat it with the chicken still cold to save time, but from start to finish it takes me eight minutes to plate. That's awesome after a long day of lessons and the gym.

zepanu5a.jpg

We eat from this book quite a lot.

u6y2ese2.jpg

We adjusted some of the ingredients on the second one.

I have been eating a ton of salad and generally put whatever meat is being served (taco meat, chicken, fish, whatever) on the salad. But I am interested in the thread for some other ideas. Salad can get a little old after a while.

I've largely been living off of egg scrambles and stir fries. I'm not much of a cook, so I've just been experimenting with different combinations. Most have been yummy. There are lots of good squashes at my local farmers market, so I've been taking advantage of that.

Tonight was a grilled NY strip with horseradish mustard, celery filled with guacamole, and baked yams with cinnamon and ghee.

Some PF Chang sty;e lettuce wraps are really good. OMG Paleo has lots of really good free recipes on their site.

http://www.paleorecipesworld.com/paleo-sex-in-a-pan-recipe/

This recipe is a Paleo recreation of traditional Sex in a Pan, which is layers of pudding, cream cheese and whipped cream stacked on a sweet crust. I changed the ingredients to be dairy-free, grain-free, and refined sugar free, but still accomplished six layers of decadence!

I don’t know where the name originates, but the first time I came across a recipe for Sex in a Pan wasChocolate-Covered Katie’s version. I immediately resolved to make a Paleo iteration sweetened only with dates and bit of honey, and yet preserve amazing taste. Developing my version was quite an adventure: more than an hour was required to put together the layers! I was worried that the textures would simply fail (would layers upon layers of dessert goo really work when it came to slicing and eating?) but with the addition of palm shortening, the chilled final result is actually quite firm.

When I served the first slice to the best taste-tester a girl could ever have, I crossed my fingers and waited for the verdict. Which turned out to be… “Oh, babe! You nailed it. But what the hell is this?” Ha, it was a success but nothing else is quite like Sex in a Pan, especially Paleo Sex in a Pan!
icon_wink.gif
If you’re wondering why there’s some pieces missing from the pan in the photos, it’s because I couldn’t bear to stop and photograph it before sampling! Particularly good with a glass of icy black coffee.

http://www.paleorecipesworld.com/paleo-sex-in-a-pan-recipe/

This recipe is a Paleo recreation of traditional Sex in a Pan, which is layers of pudding, cream cheese and whipped cream stacked on a sweet crust. I changed the ingredients to be dairy-free, grain-free, and refined sugar free, but still accomplished six layers of decadence!

I don’t know where the name originates, but the first time I came across a recipe for Sex in a Pan wasChocolate-Covered Katie’s version. I immediately resolved to make a Paleo iteration sweetened only with dates and bit of honey, and yet preserve amazing taste. Developing my version was quite an adventure: more than an hour was required to put together the layers! I was worried that the textures would simply fail (would layers upon layers of dessert goo really work when it came to slicing and eating?) but with the addition of palm shortening, the chilled final result is actually quite firm.

When I served the first slice to the best taste-tester a girl could ever have, I crossed my fingers and waited for the verdict. Which turned out to be… “Oh, babe! You nailed it. But what the hell is this?” Ha, it was a success but nothing else is quite like Sex in a Pan, especially Paleo Sex in a Pan!
icon_wink.gif
If you’re wondering why there’s some pieces missing from the pan in the photos, it’s because I couldn’t bear to stop and photograph it before sampling! Particularly good with a glass of icy black coffee.

That looks decadent. Not compliant while on my whole30, but I might try that once I'm off.

We tend to change it up to keep it interesting but I typically buy everything at Costco and cook up a big batch of protein on the grill on Sunday and use it for lunches and dinners during the week. Examples.

Last week
- 4 chicken breast with my bbq rub. This gets chopped up and can be added to salads or stir fry any time.
- 2lbs of ground beef with taco seasoning. This can be added to a salad as well but I usually use it with eggs. I either mix it in with scrambled eggs or just put two over easy eggs on top and chop it all up. Freaking good.
- 2 big flap steaks. The sell this at Costco and it is like skirt steak. I marinate it in something, usually Mojo and put my bbq rub on it to cook. We usually eat this the night we cook it because it is so good off the grill but I make enough for leftovers too. Great for lunch added to a salad or I just eat it cold by itself with a veggie on the side.

This week - took a break from the flap meat because we have had it so much lately
- salmon filets - I like to eat them the night of buy my wife loves them leftover for lunch.
- 2lbs of burgers - my favorite lunch leftover because they are really easy and I'm lazy.
- 4 chicken breasts.

Edit - Pork tenderloin is another great one. Super easy to cook, makes you look brilliant. Just put rub or marinate in teriaki (you have to look up a paleo friendly recipe if you are militant about it). Grill to 145 internal temp and it is like eating filet mignon.

Most of this stuff can be added to a salad or eggs or you can make a stir fry or some other all-in-one-pot type of dish. Or just heat it up as an entree and make some sides to go with it. I typically buy green beans, brussel sprouts, asparagus etc. from costco and sometimes a big bag of salad greens although I am currently sick of salads so I am off that for a while. I'll usually come back to them at some point.

I generally try to make a chicken whether it be breasts or thighs, some fish, and some beef. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but those options usually keep it interesting enough. And having it cooked ahead is really the only way I can stick to good habits. Like most of you, we work long days and are just too tired to have to creates something every day.

I also have a book called Well Fed that goes into this in great detail. Gives a lot more examples of stuff you can cook ahead.

Yup the honey and the chocolate is right out. Even 80% cacao.
That is why I am Paleo -light. I use the concepts as a guideline for overall good eating. But that desert looks a little sweet for me. A square or two of 85% chocolate is more my taste. Liking the good ideas in this thread!

That is why I am Paleo -light. I use the concepts as a guideline for overall good eating. But that desert looks a little sweet for me. A square or two of 85% chocolate is more my taste. Liking the good ideas in this thread!
To be fair the chocolate in this context is fine for paleo just not Whole 30.

Back