What pedals do you guys use with your acoustics?

I see what's going on here. Randy, a piezo pickup is still electric.

Not true. It is a transducer that converts the sound waves into electric energy. The whole process did not begin with electricity or changes in the electromagnetic field.

Magnetic pickups detect the change in the electrical field thereby the source of origin is electric.

So you have no explanation.

That's what I figured.

One does not drive and text while traveling 3 different freeways to get home.

How else do you explain the wires and amplification?

Amplification is post guitar. This is not a component of this discussion.

Regarding wires, they are just conduits for electrical energy. A source used in magnetic pickups to assist in the change of the magnetic field. Wires are also only a conduit for piezo once the energy has been converted. It has no effect on the origin to the source of the sound being created.

How many angels can dance on the top of a pin?

And if an acoustic guitar with a pickup is an electric guitar, why can't I use chorus?

:grin:

Nope, an acoustic amplified is a WONDERFUL fucking stereo source.
There's nothing that compares to this awesomeness....
Surrounded by acoustic guitar.. pure heaven!

Not true. It is a transducer that converts the sound waves into electric energy. The whole process did not begin with electricity or changes in the electromagnetic field.

Magnetic pickups detect the change in the electrical field thereby the source of origin is electric.

One does not drive and text while traveling 3 different freeways to get home.

Amplification is post guitar. This is not a component of this discussion.

Regarding wires, they are just conduits for electrical energy. A source used in magnetic pickups to assist in the change of the magnetic field. Wires are also only a conduit for piezo once the energy has been converted. It has no effect on the origin to the source of the sound being created.

electricity is used. the pickup converts the sound into an electric signal. how it does it doesn't matter. all that matter is that it does indeed happen. the sound comes out of the amplifier/PA. it's electric.

electricity is used. the pickup converts the sound into an electric signal. how it does it doesn't matter. all that matter is that it does indeed happen. the sound comes out of the amplifier/PA. it's electric.

The source of creation is the key to determining electric or not.

An Acoustic doesn't require a change in a electromagnetic field to produce sound. An acoustic can be mic'd - not electric.

An electric guitar requires the change in the magnetic field of the pickup to send to an amp to create sound - hence electric.

The source of creation is the key to determining electric or not.

An Acoustic doesn't require a change in a electromagnetic field to produce sound. An acoustic can be mic'd - not electric.

An electric guitar requires the change in the magnetic field of the pickup to send to an amp to create sound - hence electric.

A solidbody guitar doesn't need an electromagnetic field to produce sound. It needs it to produce a louder sound. There is still sound.

So I have learned two things from this thread:

1. I have no idea what the difference between an electric or acoustic guitar.

2. Chorus is the BEST effect to use on an acoustic.... Which is really an electric because it has a pickup

That's all I got

Most of the mag pups are acoustic modelers now. Read the adware. Strap one to a cinderblock, same as strapped to a Martin D45. Doesn't matter that most people think they're picking up the sound of their guitars, which they aren't, as long as they keep thinking that the makers will make sales. Piezo crystal generates electricity when vibrated. The myriad string frequencies acting upon it are then amplified at the preamp and sent out. The art of placement is one of the most important aspects of Piezo bugs. I have three placed inside one guitar. It's an array made by K&K and designed to separate the lows, mids and highs coming off the soundboard. They are attached to the underside of the bridge reinforcement plate inside the guitar, forward of the pins.

Straight (unplugged) acoustic bass and low mids are largely created by the chamber of the soundbox and come out of the soundhole. The higher the freqs, the more they are generated off of the top wood, which is why people have preferences for certain top woods. The Piezo bugs affixed to these varying wood species soundboards will impart wood-distinctive frequencies (cedar, mahogany, spruce, redwood, etc) into the Piezo which then gives a palette of sounds from those varying wood species. Mine are soundboard Piezo tranducers (SBT) in one guitar. Then there's the under saddle ribbon type of Piezo transducer (UST) that receives its frequency excitation through the saddle, picking up little of the soundboard modified frequencies sensed by the soundboard 'ducers. (SBTs). The SBT is highly susceptible to feedback from any old stray signal acting upon the soundboard (drum skin). The UST is less susceptible being somewhat isolated from that under the saddle.

In any of the above methods, the acoustic guitar becomes an electric guitar. The electric guitar mag pup senses the ferrous metal movement of the string and sends it out to the amp no differently than a similar device lashed up to an acoustic guitar. Conventional acceptance is that an acoustic remains an acoustic regardless of how its sound is captured and sent. Technically, though, if you wire it up it becomes transformed into an electric.

Then there's the condenser mic system some acoustic onboard systems employ that also use a Piezo (SBT or UST) with volume and pup source blending wheels. I have the LR Baggs condenser/UST in one guitar and when ambient noise calls up the feedback I blend in more mic that UST. The guitar mounting strictly an SBT array has to be placed carefully in a "mix" to prevent feedback. My amp has a notch filter to counter the feedback and it works pretty well.

Then there's the microphone sensing method many purists insist on using in an X-Y pattern at the 12 fret to get the sound out. Because this method generally does not alter the true sound of the guitar I'd argue that this is the only method that can be said to leave the guitar purely acoustic. I'm a whore. I choose whatever gets the sound out. What I won't do is use a pedal of any kind, or paint racing stripes on a Toyota Camry.

Edit to add -

http://village.melodyvine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=233

Most of the mag pups are acoustic modelers now. Read the adware. Strap one to a cinderblock, same as strapped to a Martin D45. Doesn't matter that most people think they're picking up the sound of their guitars, which they aren't, as long as they keep thinking that the makers will make sales. Piezo crystal generates electricity when vibrated. The myriad string frequencies acting upon it are then amplified at the preamp and sent out. The art of placement is one of the most important aspects of Piezo bugs. I have three placed inside one guitar. It's an array made by K&K and designed to separate the lows, mids and highs coming off the soundboard. They are attached to the underside of the bridge reinforcement plate inside the guitar, forward of the pins.

Straight (unplugged) acoustic bass and low mids are largely created by the chamber of the soundbox and come out of the soundhole. The higher the freqs, the more they are generated off of the top wood, which is why people have preferences for certain top woods. The Piezo bugs affixed to these varying wood species soundboards will impart wood-distinctive frequencies (cedar, mahogany, spruce, redwood, etc) into the Piezo which then gives a palette of sounds from those varying wood species. Mine are soundboard Piezo tranducers (SBT) in one guitar. Then there's the under saddle ribbon type of Piezo transducer (UST) that receives its frequency excitation through the saddle, picking up little of the soundboard modified frequencies sensed by the soundboard 'ducers. (SBTs). The SBT is highly susceptible to feedback from any old stray signal acting upon the soundboard (drum skin). The UST is less susceptible being somewhat isolated from that under the saddle.

In any of the above methods, the acoustic guitar becomes an electric guitar. The electric guitar mag pup senses the ferrous metal movement of the string and sends it out to the amp no differently than a similar device lashed up to an acoustic guitar. Conventional acceptance is that an acoustic remains an acoustic regardless of how its sound is captured and sent. Technically, though, if you wire it up it becomes transformed into an electric.

Then there's the condenser mic system some acoustic onboard systems employ that also use a Piezo (SBT or UST) with volume and pup source blending wheels. I have the LR Baggs condenser/UST in one guitar and when ambient noise calls up the feedback I blend in more mic that UST. The guitar mounting strictly an SBT array has to be placed carefully in a "mix" to prevent feedback. My amp has a notch filter to counter the feedback and it works pretty well.

Then there's the microphone sensing method many purists insist on using in an X-Y pattern at the 12 fret to get the sound out. Because this method generally does not alter the true sound of the guitar I'd argue that this is the only method that can be said to leave the guitar purely acoustic. I'm a whore. I choose whatever gets the sound out. What I won't do is use a pedal of any kind, or paint racing stripes on a Toyota Camry.

Edit to add -

http://village.melodyvine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=233

the prosecution rests. :embarrassed:

the prosecution rests. :embarrassed:

Still not convinced even after reading Pitar's dissertation. I will always agree when the pickup used is an electromagnetic field being excited due to the a string passing through changing the inductance field. However a piezo transducer uses a crystal that is excited by the sound vibrations created in the guitar. This in turn causes the crystal to vibrate between two plates causing that change be converted to an electric signal. The original source is still acoustic and not electric during the initial interaction. Once converted you could call it an acoustic-electric but it is still not just electric.

A piezo transducer uses a crystal that is excited by the sound vibrations created in the guitar. This in turn causes the crystal to vibrate between two plates causing that change be converted to an electric signal.

that right there makes it an electric instrument. its really much simpler than you're making it.

The only thing I know is that no matter how I amp my acoustic it beats playing unplugged because in that scenario I always seem to be on the wrong side of the sound hole and can't hear what it really sounds like anyway. Nice for the listeners but it kind of leaves me out of the loop.

Last edited:
Back