Pedal of the Day 9-3-09 AYA R-Comp Compressor

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMqohMdPyRY"]YouTube - Interview with Allen Hinds AYA R-Comp (Compressor),Aug 2005[/ame]

arc_big.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Our Price: $249.99
Price Includes FREE Ground Shipping!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Quantity:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This item is IN STOCK![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US Orders Over $99 Ship FREE![/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AYA R-Comp Compressor:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The AYA Tokyo Japan R-Comp Compressor is noted for its fat and warm sound, low noise, compact size, and true-bypass switching. A carbon composition resistor is used to make its high quality sound. High-quality parts are used throughout the R-Comp (Vishay/Mallory/ERO). It uses the same kind of Harris parts used by Ross, DynaComp (Harris Linear/Intersil's CA3080E). Two or more kinds of transistors are used. Everything is carefully measured and selected. Internal wiring uses BELDEN cables, with points by General Electric. Four kinds of solder by KESTER to control tone quality (e.g., vintage Kester, special-order Kester, Kester R44).

AYA recommends using a battery (9Volt). However, when including the compressor in a pedal board, you can use a standard 9 volt negative-center AC Adaptor.

[/FONT] AUDIO SAMPLES: Coming soon...

REVIEWS & USER COMMENTS:

JP Cervoni:
"Yes! The search is over. I've been looking for a professional compressor in a pedal form forever, I tried them all and came up with nothing. I wanted a pedal compressor that would emphasize my picking technique, even out my string balance and not breathe. The AYA R-Comp makes my sound come alive. I can't turn it off! ...Up until now, I was stuck with expensive rack mounted units for the quality of compression my work demands. The AYA R-Comp is the only compressor that does an outstanding job in a pedal form."

hehe.

I saw a prototype of this pedal at NAMM some years ago and Alan Hinds was actually demoing it that day...at that point they said that they thought they were going to have to make it about $500 to make the pedal profitable so it wasn't going into production. I can't see it giving me anything more than my Keeley...

oh yay. another overpriced Ross clone. yippee. :annoyed:

All new boutique comp pedals are:

a. Ross clones
b. Dynacomp clones
c. Orange squeeze clones

Mostly a or b.

And yet players still pay top dollar (like over $300.00) for an original of the first two. So the overpriced clones do in fact cost less than the real thing they generally do a good job of copying.

Partly because the new Dynacomps (of which I am an owner) suck, and Ross is out of business (I believe).

All new boutique comp pedals are:

a. Ross clones
b. Dynacomp clones
c. Orange squeeze clones

Mostly a or b.

And yet players still pay top dollar (like over $300.00) for an original of the first two. So the overpriced clones do in fact cost less than the real thing they generally do a good job of copying.

Partly because the new Dynacomps (of which I am an owner) suck, and Ross is out of business (I believe).

the Dynacomp isn't that far off from the Ross either. very similar circuits. like somebody at MXR got their hands on a Ross when they first came out, cloned, and then modified the circuit.

the Dynacomp isn't that far off from the Ross either. very similar circuits. like somebody at MXR got their hands on a Ross when they first came out, cloned, and then modified the circuit.

I've never played through an actual Ross before, but I did have the Analogman version of it. It just seemed like a "hifi" version of the dynacomp that I had...what I like about the Keeley is that it is still a two knob compressor but the compression doesn't "pump" as bad as the MXR/Ross stuff does...I actually feel a musical response from the Keeley that I could never get from the others...

Back