Pedal of the Day - Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
sd1.jpg

Stock

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmXVKWFBHRA"]YouTube - Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal Demo[/ame]

Keeley Modified:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyz8i32iLQA"]YouTube - BOSS SD-1 Keeley Ge 5 star mod 1/5[/ame]

The Boss SUPER OverDrive SD-1 gives you the warm, smooth distortion of an overdriven tube amp without blurring the nuances of your picking technique. The unique symmetric drive circuit delivers a more rich, authentic-sounding overdrive effect. Here's an overdrive pedal that has Level, Drive, and Tone controls that make it easy to go from mild to hard, or even use the SD-1 as a signal booster.
Boss SUPER OverDrive SD-1 Pedal Features:

• Warm, smooth distortion
  • Unique symmetrical gain circuit
  • Level, Tone, and Gain controls

If you must have one of those the Keeley mod is the way to go. But you are better off just not going that way.....

Tried a stock one with my Strat at the store. Sounded utterly craptastic compared with the OD boxes I already had. (Bad Monkey & a Rocktron Austin Gold). At the moment, I use the Rocktron pedal. I have it set so my strat gets some extra punch and bottom end under the point of breakup. Ramping up volume at the guitar pushes it over the edge.

I borrowed our bass player's SD-1 once.
LP -> SD-1 -> JMP45
Made a good fart noise and that's about it.
After that I made my own ts-808 with Keeley mods for $50. Was reasonably happy with that until I made a Red Llama.
There's your next PoTD Mark...:poke:

LP -> SD-1 -> JMP45
After that I made my own ts-808 with Keeley mods for $50. Was reasonably happy with that until I made a Red Llama.

Red Llama?

OK

LP -> SD-1 -> JMP45

a man after my own heart.

love the llama.

Back