Bay Area public employee salary database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BS555

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Day-um.

http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area

The woman at the top with total compensation over a million got the million as a severance package. Fire chiefs make almost $500,000 a year. Various ASSISTANTS make $400,000 a year. I seem to recall a story about lifeguards making $175k a year. Granted it's an expensive place to live, but shit.

You have to take some of that crap with a grain of salt. When DC government published a database that purported to show the salaries of its employees, the numbers bore no resemblance to reality. To begin with, it's usually total cost, so salary + benefits, and those benefits are rather generously construed...for instance if there's a parking lot so teachers got free parking, well that counted as part of their "salary," whether they drove or not.

You have to take some of that crap with a grain of salt. When DC government published a database that purported to show the salaries of its employees, the numbers bore no resemblance to reality. To begin with, it's usually total cost, so salary + benefits, and those benefits are rather generously construed...for instance if there's a parking lot so teachers got free parking, well that counted as part of their "salary," whether they drove or not.

All of those have to be included. Even the parking lot, it's a cost associated with those employees. You also have to remember the cost you never see like your employers contribution to you social security. It's is over and above the deduction you see on your check. I think most would be surprised to fund out how much an employee costs over and above their salary and insurance. Either way almost all government employees are grossly over paid.

All of those have to be included. Even the parking lot, it's a cost associated with those employees. You also have to remember the cost you never see like your employers contribution to you social security. It's is over and above the deduction you see on your check. I think most would be surprised to fund out how much an employee costs over and above their salary and insurance. Either way almost all government employees are grossly over paid.

tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500.gif

The problem is that most people read these columns and figure, wow, that's a nice salary and don't understand it includes those other things, which as I already said, are generally overstated. At my son's elementary school, they published teacher salaries that were completely out of line with what the teachers were actually making, and I knew that because I was on the LSRT (Local School Restructuring Team) and had access to the budgets...and that included benefits etc.

I'll leave your opinion about the pay rate of government employees out of it.

I've already fielded several complaints about the political nature of this thread and the direction it is going. Based on all the drama last week, I think it is best to just lock this one. Apologies to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back