How to play Tom Petty's American Girl

Muppet

Cat in the Hat
Everyone shows this wrong, as basic chords. But, as usual, only My Twangy Guitar is playing it right. However, I can't see his fingers well enough. I'm so frustrated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems clear to me old man. :tongue:
Just kidding. What part is not clear? Maybe I can help?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Seems clear to me old man. :tongue:
Just kidding. What part is not clear? Maybe I can help?

Yeah, Twangy has some of the best vids on youtube, and I've picked up a lot from him. However, in this case, I can't get the fingering he's doing for the D and E chords at the 7th and 9th frets. I've tried several combinations, but I can't get it. I'm beating my head against the wall. I can't be this dumb.

Yeah, Twangy has some of the best vids on youtube, and I've picked up a lot from him. However, in this case, I can't get the fingering he's doing for the D and E chords at the 7th and 9th frets. I've tried several combinations, but I can't get it. I'm beating my head against the wall. I can't be this dumb.

Ok. I haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet. The baby is so needy! :grin:
My real baby. Not calling you a baby. Lol.

Do you mean right at the beginning after the intro chord when it goes into the verse?
Its just the bottom half of an A shape Barre. Just playing the G, B, and e strings.

No, he's playing chords at the 7th and 10th frets starting at :42. But I can't figure out exactly what he's doing.

No, he's playing chords at the 7th and 10th frets starting at :42. But I can't figure out exactly what he's doing.

Yea, that's the ones I'm talking about.
Edit: I'm not good at explaining things. Lol. It would be easier to show. I'll find a graphic.

Last edited:
step 1: take out Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers album

step 2: insert into cd player / put on turntable / insert into tape deck

step 3: go to last song

step 4: press play

Back