Why do parents let their kids scream?

tstrahle

Noobie McNoob Noob
In fact they seem to encourage it. We live in a building with about thirty neighbors and one courtyard with a pool. We never let our kids yell outside, rarely even inside.
:facepalm:

In fact they seem to encourage it. We live in a building with about thirty neighbors and one courtyard with a pool. We never let our kids yell outside, rarely even inside.
:facepalm:

Some folks are just plain inconsiderate asstards.

Having children means that it'll never be too quiet anyway but good parents try and control the sonic output of their household and its impact on the neighbors.

They're the same parents that let their kids walk across store parking lots by themselves since they are too busy talking on their cell phones.
If they survive that, they bounce around in the car, not buckled up.
Then, they show up at a sit down restaurant and let their little brats scream and run loose. :old:

FWIW, my wife and I usually get lots of comments when we go out about how well behaved our children are. I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. It's annoying as hell.

FWIW, my wife and I usually get lots of comments when we go out about how well behaved our children are. I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. It's annoying as hell.

Us too.

My wife was always very prepared when we traveled. One time she and the kids, 7, 5 and 2 at the time were taking a red eye from Indy to LA when it had to land in Dallas a 2 AM(!) and wait three hours for a new plane. She took the kids to a remote corner away from everyone else as they were trying to sleep and colored and played quiet games.

After about an hour an older couple came up to her and the kids and said, "we are both child psychologists and you are the best mom we've ever seen."

It's not that hard to be considerate.

Addendum - Beth just added that she didn't do it so much for everyone else but for her sanity. She's being humble.

I guess you raise what you can put up with.

Some folks are just plain inconsiderate asstards.

Having children means that it'll never be too quiet anyway but good parents try and control the sonic output of their household and its impact on the neighbors.

+1 and lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Addendum - Beth just added that she didn't do it so much for everyone else but for her sanity. She's being humble.

I guess you raise what you can put up with.

This is my main motivation for keeping the crib midget making happy sounds rather than angry sounds.

The bloodcurdling-scream-for-no-apparent-reason seems to be a new part of the language for little kids these days. As a parent, I would have (did?) put the kibosh on that early on, although my daughter was always pretty well-behaved.

Back in the day, us kids were basically threatened with an ass-kicking if we did that crap, and the threat was usually enough. Now, as Mark said, some people are inconsiderate asstards, but what I don't understand is how do THEY put up with it, let alone allow it to be continuously unleashed on the masses?

Our kids were never allowed to scream. Public or otherwise. It was real simple to fix. They turned out alright. Here's my oldest a couple years ago...

Isn't he cute!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my main motivation for keeping the crib midget making happy sounds rather than angry sounds.

Exactly, the best way to get them to stop doing something is to get them interested in something else. Simple redirection.

Our kids were never allowed to scream. Public or otherwise. It was real simple to fix. They turned out alright. Here's my oldest a couple years ago...

Isn't he cute!

He needs to turn that damn amp down:mad:

:grin::wink:

Buncha loud ass guitar players complaining about a few noisy kids?:confused:

FWIW, I tell my kids to keep it down all the time, and they are always well mannered in public. At home, not so much. I can live with that. It helps to live in the woods though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back