Help! What do you want in the monitors?

BlackCat

American Greaser
I'm used to our baby PA that only amplifies vocals. So when the sound guy asked me that yesterday I was ready with a quick answer.
"Humina humina humina"

photobucket-3082-1339416257140.jpg

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

mostly just vocals. On a big stage it might be cool to have some of the stuff that you need to hear to play well but that depends on your instrument.

:grin:

That's what happens to my bandmates, too.

Since we tend to play on fairly large stages, I usually like vocals and a little bass. Depending on how the guitar is running (direct to board vs. mic'd with a gobo/pointed away vs. turned down to reduce stage volume, etc.) I might get some of that, too.

We almost always just have vocals in our monitors. Depending on the size of the stage and the PA we're using, we may put a little guitar or bass in there as well, but 99% of the time it's just vocals.

It depends on what instrument I'm playing and the band I am in. Most of the time, I just need vocals in the mix, but in one band (I was playing bass), I always wanted the guitar in my monitor as well.

GUITAR AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!1 :embarrassed:

It depends on the set up. Always vocals and if I can't hear something I like a bit of that too.

When I'm doing solo gigs I like A LOT of my acoustic and just enough voice to cut through so I have to push my voice. Not sure if that's a good idea but ti works for me.

When I'm doing solo gigs I like A LOT of my acoustic and just enough voice to cut through so I have to push my voice. Not sure if that's a good idea but ti works for me.

That's my preference as well. I'm not a fan of my voice, and if I'm hearing it amplified back at me I tend to hold back too much.

This thread puzzles me.

I always run at least two monitor mixes on stage when I run sound for bands.... sometimes up to 4 mixes.

I find that if each person can hear their instrument along with the vocals in the mix, then their stage volume tends to be more manageble. Nothing is worse than the bass player melting his calves and the faces of the first four rows when the bass is much more tunable and spreadable through the 18's in the main mix.

The only time I've had issues was when sax and trumpet players wanted more of their own mix but their sound was slicing the heads off of everyone else on stage.

This thread puzzles me.

I always run at least two monitor mixes on stage when I run sound for bands.... sometimes up to 4 mixes.

I find that if each person can hear their instrument along with the vocals in the mix, then their stage volume tends to be more manageble. Nothing is worse than the bass player melting his calves and the faces of the first four rows when the bass is much more tunable and spreadable through the 18's in the main mix.

The only time I've had issues was when sax and trumpet players wanted more of their own mix but their sound was slicing the heads off of everyone else on stage.

I never play shows with more than one monitor mix and usually were mixing from the stage. Therefore we need a very uncluttered monitor mix.

I use a 30 watt head turned on 10, so I hear that just fine.
Our drummer also hits really hard so I hear him okay as well.
Essentially I like a little bit of bass, and a lot of my vocals.

Back