DANGEROUS WORKOUT FADS

I see people do that jumping stuff everyday at the gym. Something that no one did 10 years ago when I was last active at the gym.

I'm guilty of running before I lose the weight myself. I really need to trim down before I get back to it again. I end up having lots of ankle issues but I eally missing running.

I was kind of surprised not to see the stuff like Parcourse or Crossfit and such.

I have never thought of running as a weight loss plan. Especially any kind of distance running. You have to have calories and carbs for a good running workout and that just doesn't fit with most weight loss plans.

i hate running.

i'm gonna try that two exercise workout the article links to. any other suggestions are appreciated.

I don't live running either because I have some foot pain but what I am doing is HIIT. Warm up with a jog for 2 or 3 mins then run as fast as you can for 30 secs. Then you slow back down to a jog or slower run for 90 secs, then back again to as fast as you can. Only doing 6 to 7 rep of this right now after I do my weights. Trying to build some muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Actually - just walking along with a modified diet is much better for losing weight. The guy one cubicle over from me started watching his diet and going hiking four or five days a week. He has lost over 40 pounds.

The running thing is interesting - especially when you are dealing with long runs. There are several ladies in our run group who probably average 25 - 35 miles a week and do a 10 mile + run every Sunday. They race in half marathons/marathons/ect. And they are not skinny. They are not remotely obese either, but for all the calories they burn they are not skinny. It just is not going to happen. And they are in better shape than I am. Physiology has a lot to do with it and they are in great aerobic shape. That is the better goal anyways.

The thing is, you could run a marathon every day of your life and still not lose weight if you're not creating a calorie deficite with your diet.

Running and maintaining a healthy diet that creates a deficite is a great way to lose weight.

I saw an ambulance chaser ad on tv for a lawsuit against Skechers for some of those goofy leg toner shoes or wtf they are. Kinda saw that coming. They look like a good case of shin splints to me.

i hate running.

i'm gonna try that two exercise workout the article links to. any other suggestions are appreciated.

What are your goals?

I'm not subscribed but I buy Men's Health or Men's Fitness most months and I have the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises. Hundreds of stuff in there depending on what equipment you've got and what you want to work on.

What are your goals?

I'm not subscribed but I buy Men's Health or Men's Fitness most months and I have the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises. Hundreds of stuff in there depending on what equipment you've got and what you want to work on.

Sorry to hijack Howie but can I ask for your advice? What do you know or recommend for building muscle and losing fat? I lift weights 3 to 4 times a week and do about 20 mins of HIIT cardio after lifting. I have upped my protein intake a lot and try to stay around 1600-1900 calries a day. Noticed increased muscle mass but having a hard time getting rid of my belly fat.

What are your goals?

i'm 180. i need to be 160. totally out of shape, so baby steps. but i'm also incredibly uncoordinated. so it makes things like the squat thrusts hilariously bad.

essentially, i know what i have to do. i need to move. every day, rain or shine. i just hate running.

What are your goals?

i'm 180. i need to be 160. totally out of shape, so baby steps. but i'm also incredibly uncoordinated. so it makes things like the squat thrusts hilariously bad.

essentially, i know what i have to do. i need to move. every day, rain or shine. i just hate running.

Working on the running but taking a break right now to let my leg rest. So next in line is the bike, that is what I am doing to let my leg heal. My next major walk/run target is December's Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Vegas! Why am I doing it because outside of the health benefits, I want too. It is a great high to have finished my first half!

Sorry to hijack Howie but can I ask for your advice? What do you know or recommend for building muscle and losing fat? I lift weights 3 to 4 times a week and do about 20 mins of HIIT cardio after lifting. I have upped my protein intake a lot and try to stay around 1600-1900 calries a day. Noticed increased muscle mass but having a hard time getting rid of my belly fat.

Sounds like your on the right track overall. You may stretch out your cardio even if it eats into your weight training time if slimming down is more of a priority than adding muscle. Cardio is far more effective at burning calories than weight training.

Unfortunately there is no magic bullet for belly fat. (Or any specific area of body fat for that matter). Fat comes and goes from whatever areas at whatever rate your body determines. All of the products that claim to do otherwise are BS. Just keep on burning more calories than you consume, and you'll get there.

Cut down on beer - that seems to help.

Back