Help Me Choose A Good Beater/Travel Guitar

Elias Graves

Common misfit
My new job will have me on the road a week a month, staying in business travel type hotels. I will be in towns where I can find open mics, so I want something halfway decent.
Small is good. P90s are good but not a make or break issue.

The three top candidates I have now are:
Fender Blacktop Jaguar 90
Squier vintage modified thinline tele
Epi LP Special singlecut

fender-blacktop-p90-jaguar-530-85.jpg

030-1240-544.jpg

Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Special-Single-Cut-TV-Yellow.jpg

The Fender is the most expensive, but it's nice out of the box and I dig the short scale. $500
The Squier needs pickups, but is only $275
The Epi needs pickups an is priced similarly to the Squier. I do like the individual volume and tone controls. I owned one briefly last year and, aside from the pickups, was a pretty nice guitar. It's out of production now, but I see a couple on eBay.

Kinda leaning toward the jaguar. Any other ideas? I've looked at se of the "travel" guitars and I don't much care for them. Just something that sounds and plays decent without mortal fear of its loss.

Washburn Rover seems like one of the travel sized guitars that actually sounds decent in the video demos

I would think you would want to go acoustic for travel and open mics, then you don't need an amp. What is your budget?

I would think you would want to go acoustic for travel and open mics, then you don't need an amp. What is your budget?

Acoustic is a no go for a hotel.
Besides, I don't play no stinking acoustics!

Budget? As cheap as possible. $3-500

The thread in which Howie enjoys spending EG's money. :grin:

I likes zee Jag, Tele, and Dano.

Back