Fender Pawn Shop Special Excelsior Amplifier - NAMM 2012

That sounds very tweedish (warm). Good but not much clean headroom. I wonder if one of those could keep up in a band setting without being miced...

I don't think so. It's 13 watts. It sounded really good in person, but if you are going to play reasonably clean, you're just not going to be able to do it unless you have a really quiet band.

I have a Carr Rambler, by the way, and that is switchable between pentode/triode (28/14 watts), and there's no way in hell I can play clean in even a reasonably quiet rock band with this amp at 14 watts. 28 watts? Absolutely, no problem, but not 14 watts unless I am cranking up the amp and don't mind distortion.

Utterly fantastic for recording with 14 watts, though.

http://www.guitarworld.com/namm-2012-fender-introduces-pawn-shop-special-amplifiers

Undoubtedly one of the most distinctive tube combo amps produced in Fender history, the alluringly refined Pawn Shop Special Excelsior harbors tones from polite, to raw and raucous. Its brown textured vinyl covering, smartly stylish “E” grille design and bold crossed-swords front-panel badge convey a decidedly stately vibe with a marked air of cold-war cool.
The 13-watt Excelsior elegantly encloses a single 15” Special Design speaker, with bottom-loaded primary chassis and top-loaded control chassis for operating convenience and low noise (powered by two 6V6 output tubes and two 12AX7 preamp tubes). Distinctive features include “instrument,” “microphone” and “accordion” inputs that each have individually optimized circuitry; tremolo circuit with speed control, bright/dark tone switch (for treble or bass emphasis), volume control and ¼” internal speaker disconnect that lets the amp drive an external speaker enclosure.
For playing at home, smaller gigs and studio sessions, the Excelsior is a class act that brings a fresh and unconventional new vibe to your playing.

The Greta, also featured on the same page, didn't really do it for me. I generally don't like *really* low-wattage amps, though, so bear that in mind. I prefer low wattage amps in the 14/28 switchable area, and absolutely love my amp.

I was very disappointed with the Excelsior in person. I don't mind an amp sounding lo-fi if its cool but this just wasn't happening to me.

I was very disappointed with the Excelsior in person. I don't mind an amp sounding lo-fi if its cool but this just wasn't happening to me.

I heard the guy playing it for a few minutes and I wasn't listening closely, but I actually liked it. I remember this specifically because I was surprised that I liked it given what it's supposed to do. I wouldn't buy it because it's not my thing, but I hafta confess that I actually liked what was coming out of it. When I heard it being played, it was a sort of "clirty" kind of sound, pushed a bit beyond clean with some obvious break-up but not completely distorted yet.

Didn't like the Greta at all, which he played before the Excelsior.

For reference as far as my tastes go, I have a Carr Rambler, which is a 50's tweed combo amp that makes clean single notes sound like church bells to me, just round and beautiful, which is the sound I prefer.

I dig tweed deluxe-style amps and I've heard a ton of wacky old off-brands around here too from the guys who do our bluescasts...this one just didn't do it for me I guess...

I dig tweed deluxe-style amps and I've heard a ton of wacky old off-brands around here too from the guys who do our bluescasts...this one just didn't do it for me I guess...

You just never know what's going to hit you. You could play with this amp a bit and discover that you actually like it, or determine that you dislike it more than you did, or anything in between.

Kinda' cool, but the Mustang III or Super Champ X2 would be a preferable Fender in this price range.

Kinda' cool, but the Mustang III or Super Champ X2 would be a preferable Fender in this price range.

It's about $300 list, innit? Not a bad price if you like the tone, I suppose. I like some of the Super Champs, but I don't know which ones. Not familiar with the Mustangs. I also think I heard a Vox amp that was relatively cheap that sounded good. Those are very different sounding amps from some of what we're discussing here, but I figured I'd throw that in.

It certainly looks cool, at first glance. The videos I saw of it didn't sound that great to me. I've not seen it in person, so it is hard to really get a strong feeling for it tonally from you tube clips. I kind of wish in place of the 3 inputs they added a conventional series of tone stack knobs (bass, mid, treble). I'm looking forward to trying one of these when they hit stores for sure, but to me the new super champ X2 looks more interesting. I guess I'm with Tig on this one. I'm dying to try that new super champ X2 head.

I'm mildly interested. :grin: If anybody sees that GC has them at the stores to play with, please let me know. Same thing with the Line6 DT25.

GMD has a review of this amp now! I'm actually kind of digging it. My local Fender shop says they should have one late May or early June. I kinda like the tweed tone it seems to give. Which is nice, since any tweed Fender costs a pretty penny, and this one is only $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back