The Masco Hunt......

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
After sitting through Tom Harkenrider's Ossum BluesCast featuring Junior Watson, I have me some GAS for either a Masco clone or maybe a Masco amp. So today I started to do some research and plan on building one since these sound so good and very, very different. I can find the chassis, most of the parts except the most important ones - the Transformers. I still gotta search but so far I turned up empty. One of the most interesting things about these amps is that they do not use conventional preamp tubes. The amp uses 6SC7, 6SJ7 and 6SL7 in the preamp and 6L6's in the power tube section. What is interesting about the 6L6's is that they are run at lower voltages so the output power is much less.

Anyway more research to come as I explore this possibility......:-\

Not too sure, but look into Trinity Amps.
I say that because they use 6L6 tubes in some of their amps - like my Tramp kit for example.

They get transformers made for them by Heyboer.
Maybe the specs will match up with what you are looking for.

www.trinityamps.com
And there is a forum too. coco is the admin and owner of the company.

Not too sure, but look into Trinity Amps.
I say that because they use 6L6 tubes in some of their amps - like my Tramp kit for example.

They get transformers made for them by Heyboer.
Maybe the specs will match up with what you are looking for.

www.trinityamps.com
And there is a forum too. coco is the admin and owner of the company.

It'll be a little more than just substituting them as the Transformer specs need to be near the original spec. That is where the research will come.

I had never seen one before this past Saturday....

You and me both bro. The amp sound so different than anything I have heard before and the different type of preamp tubes really intrigue me - it gets away from the norm. Granted that tone comes from the type of guitar and the players technique and style has a heavy impact on the tone. However I found it really interesting that those amps have become favorites of many harp players - never knew that and that is what intrigues me. Just goes to show that I just touched the surface of the style. Now I am going to have another disease or sickness in those types of tones. I also found it interesting that Rick Holmstrum, Kirk Fletcher and Tommy studied with him.

During my search I found this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't watch the videos right now but I do have to say that the idea of taking a few lessons did cross my mind Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but I do have to say that the idea of taking a few lessons did cross my mind Saturday.

I thought about this also but it always leads me to the question of: What is the lesson for?

From the seminar or BluesCast, Junior gave us a lot of info into how he thinks as well as his influences. I believe that I will need to scratch that surface of things that he suggested during his conversation with Tom before I consider a lesson or two. What I really need is to find the time in between it all. :(

Agreed. I just thought it might be a good start to the research because of the use of the same tubes.

Not a problem Dodge.

I already scoped the MM site but they don't offer that type of tranny's as a regular option but I feel that something is out there. However if I had specs, these compananies can custom wind one for you. The real trick is that even if you have cloned the amp, a lot of the materials used in the past make up the sound. Now with that understanging, I don't mind a newer more robust version because tone mostly comes from the players fingers and technique, granted the gear reproduces that tone.

I thought about this also but it always leads me to the question of: What is the lesson for?

From the seminar or BluesCast, Junior gave us a lot of info into how he thinks as well as his influences. I believe that I will need to scratch that surface of things that he suggested during his conversation with Tom before I consider a lesson or two. What I really need is to find the time in between it all. :(

really vocabulary and insight more than anything else. I can already play, have many of the recordings they talk about but I get the feeling there would be some pretty golden stuff to gain from him just from spending a little time.

really vocabulary and insight more than anything else. I can already play, have many of the recordings they talk about but I get the feeling there would be some pretty golden stuff to gain from him just from spending a little time.

Agreed but as you mentioned, you have that vocabulary under your belt where I don't - only about 1.5 years young on working with this particular style so I have a ways to go. The great thing is that Junior as well as Tommy did give great insite on this so, yes these BluesCasts work!!! :thu:

I learn from every one we do, and there is always some inspiration that pushes me in a different direction for a little while, too....

transformers?

well, you got yer AutoBots, and you got yer DeceptiCons...
then there are the splinter groups that...what's that?

oh.

never mind...:embarrassed:

I learn from every one we do, and there is always some inspiration that pushes me in a different direction for a little while, too....

That too me a major statement. With so many great players in the world, our multiple choice of influences have grown exponentially. With that said, yours truly can only focus on what I really want and need to improve as player....Baby Steps....so to speak.

I am just glad that I am in a place to grow again as a player - just part of the plateau process. I do however have specific things that I am working on and don't want to open up a can of worms where everything is overwhelming and too much to absorb.

I could really sum up best when I attended MI - it is paraphased though.

"There is a lot information in the school that can be learned and you will leave here with a lot of paper. More paper than you will ever review in your lifetime. It is best just to find what you are interested in and want to learn and focus on those topics of interest"

During the first week all of the students didn't seem to listen as they went to every session that they could that was open and horded so much paper that they could fill several 3-4" binders with and still need more binders - boy the silverfish will have a field day....

Last edited by a moderator:
transformers?

well, you got yer AutoBots, and you got yer DeceptiCons...
then there are the splinter groups that...what's that?

oh.

never mind...:embarrassed:

Transformers are cool - especially the G1 units!

227610359.jpg

not that I know of...I still have the originals of them too.

missing some parts, mind ya...:embarrassed:

and they could ALL use new stickers.

Back