The huge rim phenomenon: Can someone explain it to me?

BlackCat

American Greaser
I just passed one to these guys this morning.

bigrims.jpg

Looks like the car is on stilts. I just don't understand it.

I don't get it either.

Now, I do like the look of a 4x4 pickup truck with a few inches of lift (not more than a few inches) but a sedan jacked up sitting on 24" rims just looks silly to me.

As examples of lifted 4x4s:

Something like this I'm fine with:

CK1988fq.jpg

Something like this I'm not:

131_0902_37_z+february_2009_4x4_trucks+1995_chevy_z71.jpg

I'm not a fan of vehicles that have been lowered either.

Look, there is no figuring out "why" some little shithead has to keep his pants down to his knees, embed metal in his teeth, and drive around in a car with giant bling bling rims with tires that go flat if you run over a crack pipe, while they drive around looking for a "ho" to bang, and do their part to spread the new strain of gonorrhea, which is known to cause women to be infertile, thus indirectly helping to reduce the over population of these shitheads... God apparently works in mysterious ways...

There's one that drives past my little middle of nowhere place almost every day. I don't get it either. I dig lifted trucks, but it looks dumb as hell on cars. I do like cars/trucks that have been lowered for an actual sport suspension, though. The ground scraping lowrider bullshit is not for me.

These are just modern clown cars.

Extra clown points for cruising around with headrest screens glowing when there is no one in the back seat to watch them.
t_PL7PHRG.jpg

My car used to have 19" rims, but that's because they were there when I bought them. When I replace my tires I went with smaller ones that would accept traditional tires instead of low profile. :shrug:

People are idoits. My Ram service truck has 20" wheels but it came from the factory that way. I don't believe in modifying a car in any way. I will not buy a car that has any aftermarket equipment of any kind.

People are idoits. My Ram service truck has 20" wheels but it came from the factory that way. I don't believe in modifying a car in any way. I will not buy a car that has any aftermarket equipment of any kind.

I agree, people are idiots, for real, and getting worse every year... Still, why don't you believe in modding a car in any way? If I don't like the paint job, what's wrong with changing it? If the factory stereo sucks, what's wrong with changing it? Also, what kind of Ram "service truck" do you have, for what purpose, and does it have low profile tires?

you'll change guitar pickups and hardware, why not car parts?

I agree, people are idiots, for real, and getting worse every year... Still, why don't you believe in modding a car in any way? If I don't like the paint job, what's wrong with changing it? If the factory stereo sucks, what's wrong with changing it? Also, what kind of Ram "service truck" do you have, for what purpose, and does it have low profile tires?

It's a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with a Hemi. It doesn't have low profile tires. I would absolutely never change the paint on a car. Huge red flag. Part of the reason I feel this way is, who did the work, what was wrong that they needed to do the work? If you wanted something else on the car why didn't they get a car that had it to begin with. Contrary to popular belief aftermarket modifications great reduce the value of a car.

It's a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with a Hemi. It doesn't have low profile tires. I would absolutely never change the paint on a car. Huge red flag. Part of the reason I feel this way is, who did the work, what was wrong that they needed to do the work? If you wanted something else on the car why didn't they get a car that had it to begin with. Contrary to popular belief aftermarket modifications great reduce the value of a car.

Oh, so that's your reason... Sure, based on that particular line of thinking, that makes sense for you... By the way, one could argue that only an idiot would buy a Chrysler product... :wink: Anyways, for each their own, and if depreciating the value doesn't matter to me, then cool! I would never run huge rims with low profile tires for two reasons... One, because I think it looks goofy, but that is just an aesthetic judgment... Second, because the kind of places I drive would destroy a low profile tire, so I would be an idiot to do that... Oh, my Chevy truck is totally stock, except for the stereo... However, I plan on keeping it until it is worthless, so trade in or resale value is completely irrelevant... *Waits for Chevy jab*

I just passed one to these guys this morning.

bigrims.jpg

Looks like the car is on stilts. I just don't understand it.

In all fairness to the current trendy crowd, I imagine there are a lot of people who wouldn't understand why you dress the way you do, play the music you do, and wear the boots you do...

you'll change guitar pickups and hardware, why not car parts?

Cars are different than guitars. I have been involved with racing and selling high end cars for a long time and what seems like an inconsequential modification will destroy the value of the car. If we're talking about some old beater then it's a mute point because it's not worth anything anyway. When I buy a car I check every panel gap the paint on every panel. I get underneath it to inspect it. I check the service book to make sure it has been stamped by an certified service center for that make, and all scheduled service has been performed. I pull the carpet back in the trunk to check for rust or evidence of body damage. I check everything and if one thing doesn't pass muster I walk. No if ands or buts. I may be over doing it but I've never had an issues with any car I've ever owned.

Last edited:
In all fairness to the current trendy crowd, I imagine there are a lot of people who wouldn't understand why you dress the way you do, play the music you do, and wear the boots you do...

That's valid. I suppose I'm not one to poke fun at any trend. Regarding the boots. If I ever need to make a BDSM video I'll at least have the footwear for it.

Cars are different than guitars. I have been involved with racing and selling high end cars for a long time and what seems like an inconsequential modification will destroy the value of the car. If we're talking about some old beater then it's a mute point because it's not worth anything anyway. When I buy a car I check every panel gap the paint on every panel. I get underneath it to inspect it. I check the service book to make sure it has been stamped by an certified service center for that make, and all scheduled service has been performed. I pull the car back in the trunk to check for rust or evidence of body damage. I check everything and if one thing doesn't pass muster I walk. No if ands or buts. I may be over doing it but I've never had an issues with any car I've ever owned.

yeah, but we're generally not talking about racing. we're talking about idiots modifying their Hondas to go pimpin' with.

Oh, so that's your reason... Sure, based on that particular line of thinking, that makes sense for you... By the way, one could argue that only an idiot would buy a Chrysler product... :wink: Anyways, for each their own, and if depreciating the value doesn't matter to me, then cool! I would never run huge rims with low profile tires for two reasons... One, because I think it looks goofy, but that is just an aesthetic judgment... Second, because the kind of places I drive would destroy a low profile tire, so I would be an idiot to do that... Oh, my Chevy truck is totally stock, except for the stereo... However, I plan on keeping it until it is worthless, so trade in or resale value is completely irrelevant... *Waits for Chevy jab*

I wish I could argue with you on the Chrysler point but I can't. My Grandfather was a Dodge, Plymouth, Desoto dealer so if I buy an American car it's a Chrysler. I worked for Ford for a time so I buy Fords as well, but I would never buy a Chevy. Not because there's anything wrong with them but their styling doesn't appeal to me and their interiors are the worse on any car anywhere. BTW my last two Dodge went 250,000 miles when I sold them and I did nothing but scheduled maintenance to them.

Back