Hot Dog Jam!

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
For your 4th of July BBQ, what hot dogs do you throw down?

'Round my house, it's Nathans dogs w/ Martins potato rolls

In other grilled meat in a tube news, I have these fresh sausages from the butcher that are incredibly good.

I like the Nathan's. For every day dogs, I am a sucker for Ballparks though. I am definitely not a fan of the skinny style dogs like Sabrett's.

Of the national brands I prefer Nathans with the natural casings. A local grocers close to our house sells their own hot dogs in the natural casing that are just fantastic. Unfortunately Mrs D does not like hotdogs at all so we don't have them as often as I would like. I have managed to hook our daughter and the #1 son on good hot dogs...

We have a very hard to find (even locally) brand... Essem. They used to be available all over the place up here on the Mass. northshore. Most of the minor league ballparks and even Fenway sold 'em by the ton. The company got bought out by Kayem brands... and they unofficially discontinued their product line. Kayem makes great stuff anyway, and they are the biggest meat packer in the Northeast. Thankfully, my local supermarket chain sells them rebranded as their high end house dogs. Natural casing, made of beef & pork. Hardly wallet busting too, I think I paid 3.50 for a 1 lb package. They sometime have the genuine Essem dogs in the deli case, and those are ridiculously priced at 5.99 a lb. I tried 'em side by side a couple times and I cannot tell the diff. As always, I'll remind everyone that ketchup goes on the fries and not the dog. Dogs need but a toasted roll, mustard, pickle relish, onions, and celery salt to make them great. Adding hot pepper, relish or otherwise will just make you want to eat more.

Last edited:
Back