this shouldn't need to be said, but i'm going to say it anyway

I do that quite often, actually. I'm usually too busy performing to think about my gear though. In my case I know I don't need anything to work with but it's still fun to dream.

A student in my new class tonight brought his pedalboard in with a Fulltone Plimsoul and a Fulldrive among other things...now I have the opportunity to hear a few things I've been curious about :embarrassed:

i think a lot of GAS pops up for many players because we're stuck going to work and coming home and playing at bedroom levels. actually getting into a rehearsal space and being loud doesn't happen nearly enough as it should. it's during those GAS pained moments, you know, when you're thinking of spending $3600 on an ugly instrument that won't do you any good, that turning up and playing the shit out of what you already have really goes a long way.

i've already booked the next rehearsal, but it isn't for another 10 days. i might need to just find a room and play one day to tide me over.

It is usually the exact opposite for me. I play much more at bedroom levels, so I get used to that sound. When I get at stage levels and other instruments join in, I loose the bedroom sound and try to recapture it.

Did that last night. My amp is the weak spot. After much knob-twirling I found several sounds that were almost what I was looking for, but not quite. Close enough for me right now, but I'm still gassing for a better amp.It'll likely be next year before I can really look at getting one, though. I may try to put together a bit of money for a pedal or two, maye that'll help in the meantime.

On the whole though, it felt amazing and sounded awesome, too.

Did that last night. My amp is the weak spot. After much knob-twirling I found several sounds that were almost what I was looking for, but not quite. Close enough for me right now, but I'm still gassing for a better amp.It'll likely be next year before I can really look at getting one, though. I may try to put together a bit of money for a pedal or two, maye that'll help in the meantime.

On the whole though, it felt amazing and sounded awesome, too.

so if it felt amazing and sounded awesome, then what's the problem? :confused:

Probably nothing. I can't put into words exactly what I felt was missing from it, honestly. Probably means I should lower my expectations and practice more. :embarrassed:

i dunno. i'm certainly the first to say that anything less than a transcendental experience is unacceptable, but you kind of have to know what's missing before being able to move on. otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

i dunno. i'm certainly the first to say that anything less than a transcendental experience is unacceptable, but you kind of have to know what's missing before being able to move on. otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

I'm hoping to get out and try some things here in the next few months so maybe I can figure out just what it is I feel like I'm missing. Problem is, the closest GC to me is in suburban hell so its packed with 13 year olds all damn weekend and I can't really get out there during the week. Not that i'll have the money any time soon for anything anyway, though. :shrug:

I'm hoping to get out and try some things here in the next few months so maybe I can figure out just what it is I feel like I'm missing. Problem is, the closest GC to me is in suburban hell so its packed with 13 year olds all damn weekend and I can't really get out there during the week. Not that i'll have the money any time soon for anything anyway, though. :shrug:

forget about other gear for a second. what do you feel is missing from your sound?

I play at stage volume when I'm at home.

I still have GAS, though I have way more stuff than I really need, and I'm perfectly happy with the way the stuff I have sounds and plays. :embarrassed:

I get to play loud at home during the day. I work close to home so sometimes I just come home for lunch and just crank it up. Unfortunately, I havent been playing enough at any volume lately. Life has a way of getting in the way. I did crank up for a while yesterday though. felt good.

I do that quite often, actually. I'm usually too busy performing to think about my gear though. In my case I know I don't need anything to work with but it's still fun to dream.

A student in my new class tonight brought his pedalboard in with a Fulltone Plimsoul and a Fulldrive among other things...now I have the opportunity to hear a few things I've been curious about :embarrassed:

How'd you like the Plimsoul?

forget about other gear for a second. what do you feel is missing from your sound?

Something in the distortion. I'm after a really gritty, raunchy distortion sound but its not what I'm getting. I either need to find the right pedal/combination of pedals or get an amp that's got a gain channel that doesn't sound like unwashed ass. I'm pretty bad at following directions, no? :embarrassed:

Back