HBGD

tgk03

Ain't it crazy?
Happy Borrowed Guitar Day :)

So Memorial Day BBQ at the neighbor's/friend's house (the parents of the Japanese Strat owner). Another neighbor is there. A guitar hobbyist who sells out Madison Square Bedroom every time. We've played a bit together. Real nice guy. We share our common back fence and often hear each other practice.

He has a back injury and can't turn his head or torso very much. He says to me, "Tom, I have this guitar I'm gonna let you play. It's very uncomfortable for me and I just don't play it. It's collecting dust. String it up with whatever you want.... "

As I am getting ready to leave for my Blues Class last night, he drops off this Les Paul. I don't know much about this guitar, but it is very comfortable for me. Fits like a glove. I have know idea how long he intends for me to keep it. Buts gonna be a blast while I have it.

Again, can anybody tell me more about this guitar? A quick serial number search tells me the guitar was made in 2003. This pics make the color more intense than it is. The burst actually seems a bit faded.

Anyway, I have just become a Les Paul convert (though I have a Faux Paul, this guitar is different animal entirely).

lptk02.jpg

lptk03.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics...

Looks like a Standard to me. Mine came with BurstBuckers but now equipped with SD '59s. Mark has one too.

Today, the Gibson Les Paul Standard has BurstBucker pickups on the Vintage Original Spec models and Burstbucker Pro on the lower end models bearing the 'Standard' name.

The Studio Plus is on the left and the Standard is on the right.

MyLesPauls.jpg

Last edited:
It could use a set up, too. If it had a better set up maybe he'd consider it more comfortable? He plays a Strat and loves that. The action is a bit high at the 12th fret. It's got dirty strings that are too slinky for my tastes. Gonna get new strings today

I'm gonna bring it to class next week, Mark. If you're around, I'd love to get your impression.

Awesome! I swap gears with a lot of my friends, but seldom anything QUITE that nice. HNBGD! :thu:

It could use a set up, too. If it had a better set up maybe he'd consider it more comfortable? He plays a Strat and loves that. The action is a bit high at the 12th fret. It's got dirty strings that are too slinky for my tastes. Gonna get new strings today

I'm gonna bring it to class next week, Mark. If you're around, I'd love to get your impression.

:cool:

I think it's a Standard as well.

I like my LP Standard well enough, but I do believe a Strat is more comfy. The contours of the Strat just seem to fit the player's body better, where a LP can seem a little blunt around the edges.

Regardless, that's a hell of nice guitar your neighbor just lent you.

no kidding!:eek:

wish I had neighbours that nice.
of course, I don't have neighbours...

now would be a good time to move
preferrably while the guitar's owner is away or somethin'.
:wink:

Yep, looks to be a standard to be. The first two digits of the serial number on the back will give you an idea of the year it was made.

Yep, looks to be a standard to be. The first two digits of the serial number on the back will give you an idea of the year it was made.
really?
never knew that.

does that more or less work across the board too, with other companies?

really?
never knew that.

does that more or less work across the board too, with other companies?

It does with Fender starting in the 70s. If you have a strat with a serial number that starts E9, it is American made in 89. MN3 is MIM 93.

God, I love this guitar. I told my neighbor so, and he's glad it's getting played. It'll be a sad day when he takes it back. It's so comfortable. I can't wait to turn it up in class tomorrow night.

I'm sure by the serial no. that it is 2003.

Back