Guitar Pic of the Day - 2.11.09

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
02738727-front-l.jpg
02738727-back-l.jpg

02738727-body-l.jpg
02738727-bodyback-l.jpg

What makes the Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III so special? As the highest paid LA studio guitarist in his day, co-founder of the Guitar Institute of Technology in LA ( now the Musicians Institute) author of several books of guitar curriculum, not to mention an innovator and guitar designer - you could say that Howard Roberts knows a thing or two about the guitar. The Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III is the culmination of a series of unique instruments that Howard developed throughout the mid '60s. The Howard Roberts Fusion model debuted in 1980 with such refinements as a more open cutaway and a unique control configuration,and the "fingers" tailpiece with individual string-angle adjustments. Want a real player's guitar - it's Gibson's Howard Robert's Fusion III.

Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III at a Glance:
Semi-hollowbody design with maple laminated top, back and sides with multi-ply top binding
'59 rounded profile maple neck with ebony fingerboard and pearloid dot inlays
Two Gibson humbuckers - 490R (neck) and 490T) bridge

It's Not Just a Jazz Fusion Guitar
To give you some idea of just how good the Howard Roberts Fusion plays and sounds, no less a talent than Peter Green (formerly of Fleetwood Mac fame) now gigs with a Howard Roberts Fusion III. Designed to be able to handle the sounds of both rock and jazz without feedback, the Howard Roberts Fusion III gives you all the tone you need, from clean and tight to downright dirty when pushed hard through a suitable amplifier. The laminated maple body with Chromyte center block features multi-binding on top, single-ply on the back and gold hardware. It looks as good as it sounds!

Not Too Fat, Not Too Thin
No, we're not talking about the latest fad diet, we're talking about the Howard Roberts Fusion neck profile. It's not as big as those huge 1958 Les Paul necks, but neither is it as thin as the 1960s so-called "slim taper" neck profiles. In any case, the combination of a nice, rounded one-piece maple neck and the warmth of an ebony fingerboard is what this guitar is all about. It's not for everyone, of course. But many players who have never picked up a guitar with this kind of neck are often shocked at how easily it handles.

490R and 490T Modern Classic Pickups:
The "Modern Classic" pickups feature tonal characteristics similar to the '57 Classic, but deliver a slight increase in the upper mids, for a more contemporary humbucking sound. The special Alnico II magnet gives these beauties a singing quality that delivers on demand. The 490R, with its neck-spaced pole pieces, is calibrated to match the bridge-spaced 490T for a perfect match.

Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion Features:
Color: Vintage Sunburst
Top: Laminated maple
Back: Top: Laminated maple
Sides: Top: Laminated maple
Neck: One-piece maple with '59 rounded profile
Fingerboard: Ebony with pearl dot inlays
Number of frets: 22
Pickups: Two Humbucking pickups - 490R (neck) and 490T (Bridge)
Controls: Two each tone and volume with three-way pickup selector switch
Machine heads: Scaller Keystone
Hardware: Gold plated
Case: Black smooth levant hardshell

If you've heard the eerie guitar theme from "The Twilight Zone," then you've heard Howard Roberts - now own his guitar - the Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III.

I hate the way they did the sunburst on this guitar. You usually see that on cheaper guitars to hide bad wood.

However, aesthetics aside I might dig playing something like this...I'm not a big fan of the 490 pickups, though...

I like it, but you know my stance on semis. I'd never use it enough to justify buying one.

If you live for hard rock, get a guitar made to rock hard. Kramer guitars are designed and built specifically for hard rock guitar players. They feature body design and construction, pickups, electronics and hardware for rock music. Some other guitars try to work for ALL kinds of music (country AND rock). That's impossible! Kramer does one thing and it does it well.

That bridge is very different looking, but I guess it works well. I'd prefer the hardware in chrome, but that is just a personal preference...

0----5----10
_____^_____
like-o-meter

If you live for hard rock, get a guitar made to rock hard. Kramer guitars are designed and built specifically for hard rock guitar players. They feature body design and construction, pickups, electronics and hardware for rock music. Some other guitars try to work for ALL kinds of music (country AND rock). That's impossible! Kramer does one thing and it does it well.

:grin:

Is that guys still around?

And why can't I remember his name?

I know the quote came from MusicYo, but there was a guy on HC who posted that in just about every thread he ever read.

i think it was Mazi Bee, and no i don't think he's around much. supposedly, he's a mod in EG, but i can't remember the last time i saw him.

i think it was Mazi Bee, and no i don't think he's around much. supposedly, he's a mod in EG, but i can't remember the last time i saw him.

Mazi isn't the one I'm thinking about. The one I'm thinking about kept getting banned and coming back as a new member, only to repeatedly post that quote in every thread.

I just googled the phrase and several HC posts came up, but they were mostly by you and yabba.

I swear, there was one guy about 5 or 6 years ago who posted about Kramer guitars with every post and that quote came up in every thread he was involved with.

Back