Today on Orange County Chopper....

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
We have a very special build for a very demanding customer and the deadline is impossible. Delivery has been promised to the customers broker (mommy) within 45 minutes....

So I got the frame into the shop from Radio Flyer this morning and immediately got it on my bench. As with all OCC bikes this one takes no real custom fabrication since all we ever really do is assemble components from other companies and then slap a paint job on it.

c60beda7.jpg

Step1 in the instructions was installing the saddlebags onto the frame.

8e0af3de.jpg

Next up was the rear axle assembly. This took about 90 seconds and I had to break out a hammer:

7fb4f1c9.jpg

40c7cabd.jpg

Check out the trick custom hub caps:

80589172.jpg

The front fork went on too easy. For a minute I was afraid that I had forgotten something important but apparently it just slides on :embarrassed:

38ebcee6.jpg

Next up was the handlebars. I was going to have one of the guys make a custom set with skulls and puppy dogs machined into it on the CNC machine but time was too short so I just put the stock bars on.

675f9773.jpg

Apparently I did something stupid at this point because the instructions were all "SNAP" 'n stuff...

960c5990.jpg

Seat installation was next...I put it on loosely so that we could fit it to the customer at the unveiling.

675f9773.jpg

The last item on this build was the installation of a custom "Mommy and Daddy Pushbar". This can come off as soon as the client is old enough to pedal for herself.

f1df41af.jpg

At the unveiling the customer was too happy for words. She did feel the need to do her own safety testing before she felt comfortable driving it herself...

82a0e9c2.jpg

Very cool! You should make a harness for Jack, that would be interesting. :grin:

It was a fun morning.

Hilarious occ parody. I heard jr's voice through the whole thread :grin:.

I've started watching the "Junior Vs Senior" season of AC last month and I'm amazed how what a big deal they make out of what appears to mostly be simple assembly. There is one guy that I would consider a "Metal Smith" that works for OCC but the rest of it really seems like the repair shop at the local Harley Dealer.

Back