Lick of the Day Al Di Meola!

mosiddiqi

The Curry Master
Staff member
Here's a really cool lick from Al that also doubles as an excellent alternate picking exercise. You can tell that Yngwie definitely listened to Al quite a bit I think..:wink:. The thing that Al is really good at is lighting fast alternate picking while his right hand mutes the strings leading to a very staccato attack.

I grabbed this lick from Al's "Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway" which is full of killer speed licks. I highly recommend any aspiring shredders to give that track a listen, or in fact anyone that just wants to improve their alternate picking.

The tempo is pretty frightening :eek:..so slow the track right down with whatever software you like ( I'm a big "Transcribe!" fan) and work towards getting his level of articulation when playing fast.

The lick sounds like this looped:

http://www.box.net/shared/sj4ty36ocl

..and looks like this:

Try moving the whole lick around all over the fretboard whilst keeping time with a metronome. It's a GREAT picking workout!.

Have fun! :)

My picking sucks I need all the help I can get:)

Not from what I've heard! :)..but yeah, working on Al's stuff will definitely improve matters. His articulation and command of rhythm is pretty frightening. The longer I play, the more I'm finding that rhythmic control is one of the key elements that separates the greats from the rest. It's not that hard with regular practice to play a steady stream of 16th notes at superfast speeds ala Yngwie, but when the lines are syncopated/swung...it all gets way harder.

Back