Kerouac, get in here. Let's talk about RPGs.

Chihlidog

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Lots of video game talk here lately. It isnt good to encourage me to unleash my nerd side here. But since it has, educate me about some RPGs. It isnt a genre I've played much of.

They are kinda cool.....

rpg.jpg

I'm not Kerouac, but I loved loved loved Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic and it's sequel, KOTOR II.

I played a later Bioware RPG called Jade Empire, which was all right, but it's "open hand" "closed fist" development paths weren't as, I don't know , deep as the game and it's promo materials suggested.

KOTOR was right up there in the top 10 games ever made, IMO. Being a GIANT Star Wars fan made it even better for me. KOTOR II I also enjoyed very much, but it felt (because it WAS) unfinished.

Never played Jade Empire. If you like Bioware's stuff, you should definitely check out Mass Effect. It's like KOTOR on steroids with real-time combat.

Just started playing Mass Effect. I'm a big FPS guy (BLACK OPS FTW!!!) so... my FPS instincts have me stuck at the very beginning of Mass Effect trying to disarm 3 charges :facepalm: Anyone got some hints for me? My squad mates keep dying, and I don't last much longer than they do.

(sorry for the tangent, but it's on-topic, right?)

I didnt have much trouble with that part. Do you know where they are? Thats the only thing I could see maybe slowing you down, is if you have to search for them.

As an FPS-er, youll need to re-learn how to shoot. No matter how accurate you aim, you still miss quite a bit. I find that using the assault rifle and just spraying them is the most effective method.

I didnt have much trouble with that part. Do you know where they are? Thats the only thing I could see maybe slowing you down, is if you have to search for them.

As an FPS-er, youll need to re-learn how to shoot. No matter how accurate you aim, you still miss quite a bit. I find that using the assault rifle and just spraying them is the most effective method.

Oh yeah - they're right next to me :facepalm: Is there some kind of shield thing I'm just not aware of at all? Was I supposed to upgrade my "non-suck" with some omigel or whatever? I haz a lost.

Never played Jade Empire. If you like Bioware's stuff, you should definitely check out Mass Effect. It's like KOTOR on steroids with real-time combat.

Jade Empire was fun, but like I said, the morality choices weren't as nuanced as the game's dialog would lead you to believe. Everything still boiled down to being nice (The Way of the Open Hand) or being an utter asshat (The Way of the Closed Fist), with no benefit to choosing a middle path. The game does get bonus points for having John Cleese voice a character with whom you must verbally spar.

Mass Effect looks cool, though I'd be tempted to skip ahead to ME2, just for the improvements.

the Dragon Age games are great.
give 'em a shot.

Dragon Age looks like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. More fantasy, less cigar-chompin' soldier action.

very much fantasy, yeah.
I'm right at the end of my 1st game of it.

don't wanna finish it, cuz I don't want it to end:embarrassed:

lots and lots of character options too.
incl. gender, which changes the storyline pretty dramatically, I'm told.
next time, I'm gonna be a pretty lady:grin:

I misunderstood what you were asking, Chihli. lol! My SQUADMATES are right next to me. I keep getting shot from long distance across as small chasm. Guess I'll just have to be more cautious. No running and gunning.

I misunderstood what you were asking, Chihli. lol! My SQUADMATES are right next to me. I keep getting shot from long distance across as small chasm. Guess I'll just have to be more cautious. No running and gunning.

I know exactly the part youre talking about, it is a bit of a pain. If you have points, absolutely spend them, but assuming you've used them all up, getting through that part I seem to recall the Geth's shields being pretty tough, and using squadmate's powers to break through them. Then you can shoot 'em. Aside from that, cover really is critical. The combat gets pretty intense in all of the game that I've played so far.

Back