let's beat this one to death------cheap guitar content

silverring233

Monkey With Tools
i posted this at HC as well. since i don't get to spend much on guitars very often, i'll take all the opinions and suggestions i can get.

so i'm wanting a semi hollow and the epi dot is out (unless i can get a hell of a deal on one). here's balsa wood and spit's offering:

http://www.rondomusic.com/gg5stdch.html

and here's the GFS offering:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-900...Red_p_622.html

both look pretty decent, and i've had great luck with both companies. i'm just wondering if there's 100 bucks difference between the two? i'm not concerned about doing any mods, simply because if i do any mods, i have every thing i need.

which would you choose, and why?

The GFS will have better pups... worth considering since changing them out in a semi-hollow is a PITA.

I like the SX finish and headstock better though. :embarrassed:

I don't know much about either guitar but if you have the parts and expertise to upgrade it then it looks like the cheaper one will be fine.

If you're interested in semi-hollows, for performance sake, you should try an Ibanez Artcore.
I'd stain the interior wood black so the f-holes don't show as much, and change the pickups,
but they're interesting guitars sometimes being sold cheap.

Xaviers tend to be highly playable out of the box. Much better pups and generally better finish work. I would think it worth the extra $100.00.

Harkenrider has an Xavier that is actually a pretty cool guitar..his is like an f-whole Les Paul...

Hacving played a Xaviere semi-hollow, it'd be my choice. The used one that my local GC had played and sounded very, very nice.

I'd get the SX, completely gut it, put in good hardware, track down someone with a genuine Gibson 335, and have a comparison...

Can I ask why you're just looking online? Nothing at the local music stores, or a friend with an unplayed guitar?

Harkenrider has an Xavier that is actually a pretty cool guitar..his is like an f-whole Les Paul...

i looked at those as well.

I would buy the SX. I've bought four guitars from balsa wood and spit and have been happy with all of them. I've had one Xaviere and sold it. That may not be a fair assessment, just my opinion.

i have had both SX and Xaviere. i still have the Xaviere. i sold the SX to a good friend. were it not for that, i might still have the SX as well.

Can I ask why you're just looking online? Nothing at the local music stores, or a friend with an unplayed guitar?

the only shop around here i deal with has an Ibanez AG75. not bad, but not what i'm looking for. i do know someone who has an Epi Dot, he just isn't ready to sell it.

Back