Achtung! Todays GPOTD got me thinking.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I think I'm going to have a series of "Deconstructing the Guitar" threads where we discuss the instrument part by part...from the stuff we always talk about (pickups, neck joints) to the things that seem more mundane like tuning pegs, cutaways, pots, switches and whatnot. Once we work through the instrument from headstock to strap button we'll make a FAQ sticky in the guitar forum as a master reference....what do you think?

I think any individual part of the guitar can be debated ad nauseam. Consensus, outside of what that part does, is damn near impossible. As far as a FAQ.....wouldn't wikipedia better suited for that task (if these articles don't already exist)?

edit...it does

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar#Construction_and_components

I think that having the members of this forum with their particular experiences and prejudices would be kind of cool, though. You know that many of the folks here have actually had real world experiences with much of this stuff - not that people can't talk out their ass on the internet, but I think the sampling of contributors here would be pretty good and it would be a cool "living resource" for newbies who could still ask questions of the original posters...

I think any individual part of the guitar can be debated ad nauseam.
Yes but the advantage is being able to sift through remarks pertinent to the reader. Rather than reading reviews of features and such, I get a lot more from the debate of such features.

I think I'm going to have a series of "Deconstructing the Guitar" threads where we discuss the instrument part by part...from the stuff we always talk about (pickups, neck joints) to the things that seem more mundane like tuning pegs, cutaways, pots, switches and whatnot. Once we work through the instrument from headstock to strap button we'll make a FAQ sticky in the guitar forum as a master reference....what do you think?
Awesome idea is awesome. I'd be interetsed in anything and everything listed here.

Back