what i learned from Warren Haynes last night

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
tonally, there's really no point in owning a bunch of Les Pauls, a 335, and a P90 equipped Firebird. at the end of the day, you're going to sound like you.

the man rips. but you just can't tell a real difference when he switches guitars. he might be a touch brighter with a Firebird, but it all goes out the window when you start turning tone knobs and moving pickup selectors. i won't deny that there's a feel difference. because there's no way an LP and a Firebird wear the same. but don't we just compensate for each guitar anyway?

at best, that kinda collection for the average weekend warrior or bedroom player is just fashion. Warren gets away with it because he's the main draw in a national touring act and is sponsored by Gibson. but for the vast majority of us, we should just find that one and go with it.

7e348a77.jpg

I could easily get by with just one guitar (well, two if you count a backup), but having a bunch of them is a lot more fun. :embarrassed:

I don't consider my four (Tele, LP (copy), Guild acoustic, Rodriguez classical) to be excessive. :shrug:

I suck but that aside I am fine with one electric and one acoustic. It is just that right now, I have an irrational desire to have a specific electric that I dont currently own. I will eventually get my current one sold and buy the one I want and at that point be satisfied ............................................. for a while. :thu:

Actually, I played a ASAT a few years ago and fell in love with it but couldnt afford it. Since then, I have traded up enough to be able to buy it once I sell what I have so it is like I am going to get the one that I have always wanted anyway so maybe I will be satiated for a longer period this time. Plus, I promised myself I would need to get a lot better as a player before I start accumulating guitars and amps. Cant justify it at my level of suck.

I use several guitars live, but that's more because of different tunings than anything else.
That and when I need to do high gain stuff, the Strat doesn't really cut it. :wink:

Dayum Help... I looked for ya yesterday and from the looks of your picture we were practically right next to you.

The show was awesome! I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow.

i don't consider that excessive either. and i consider my collection on the brink of excessiveness. Prages collection is excessive. :tongue:

I could stand to lose a few. :embarrassed:

I do the bulk of my playing on the orange Warmoth, the US Masters, and the goldtop Wolfgang. I break out the others for recording, but they aren't played as much as they should be.

There are a couple (like the Fernandes) that I hardly ever even use for recording. :embarrassed:

I agree to an extent, Howie. When I listen to Haynes, it's pretty tough to tell which guitar he's playing. But I attribute that mostly to the fact that he's running his signal through such a massive rack. Of course I still sound like me when I play those different models, but the differences among the guitars on my rig seems much more substantial. :shrug:

No fucking way I'll ever own that. :mad:
Certainly not at the prices Gibson wants for it. :grin:

Besides, Stones and similar tunes in open G (as an example) just sounds wrong on anything but a Tele. :tongue:

they might "look wrong" but that's just preconceived notions. i could pull it off on a Hello Kitty guitar if i wanted to.

I agree to an extent, Howie. When I listen to Haynes, it's pretty tough to tell which guitar he's playing. But I attribute that mostly to the fact that he's running his signal through such a massive rack. Of course I still sound like me when I play those different models, but the differences among the guitars on my rig seems much more substantial. :shrug:

i don't think it has much to do with the rack. Warren's got a certain style and he's going to turn the tone knobs a certain way. the rack just makes things easier for him to switch between sounds. if anything is the equalizer in that rig, it's the Soldano.

I shan't let this bit of information prevent me from amassing more and more guitars for my collection (currently at 15).

I play four electrics on a regular basis depending on the gig. Most of my friends who gig for a living end up getting all of their live sounds out of some sort of "Super Strat" utility guitar (unless its a style-specific gig). My "collection" of other guitars was really built when I thought I was going to have a much busier recording career. :embarrassed:

Back