It seems that my iMac getting kludged up is due to Microsoft Office.

Is MS necessary to yr work?

'Cause if not…

openoffice_logo.gif

Uninstall and reinstall without entourage.

I install all the separate MS Office Apps and all the file converters, but I specifically exclude infopath and sharepoint. Unless you're using a sharepoint server, I've found no useful reason to have it installed on a stand alone machine.

Is MS necessary to yr work?

I have open office for one of the teachers computers but for me I need Word and Excel.

Uninstall and reinstall without entourage.

I install all the separate MS Office Apps and all the file converters, but I specifically exclude infopath and sharepoint. Unless you're using a sharepoint server, I've found no useful reason to have it installed on a stand alone machine.

I did uninstall all of it. I'll have to put Word and Excell back on, though. I really like Outlook and Entourage is the "Fuck you since you bought a Mac" version of it. I guess I'll have to use the crappy Mail program that OSX comes with.

Also : this thread taught me that "kludge" is an actual word. And I'm also pretty sure you used it wrong…

:grin:

Google tells me you're right:
A kludge (or kluge) is a workaround, a quick-and-dirty solution, a clumsy or inelegant, yet effective, solution to a problem, typically using parts that are cobbled together. This term is diversely used in fields such as computer science, aerospace engineering, Internet slang, and evolutionary neuroscience.

:embarrassed:

I did uninstall all of it. I'll have to put Word and Excell back on, though. I really like Outlook and Entourage is the "Fuck you since you bought a Mac" version of it. I guess I'll have to use the crappy Mail program that OSX comes with.

Oh... I thought it was the Mac version of Infopath... which kinda blows.

Entourage is the most bloated, dysfunctional piece of shit software currently available for the mac. I have a really high end mac pro that entourage is able to slow to a crawl.

WTF is Entourage?

It's Outlook for Mac.

I think I'm going to blow over this hard drive with a fresh install anyway. Things are still a little hinky since I did my partial install last week and over 3/4 of the hard drive is full of the old installation.

I've learned a few lessons this week. Use Time Machine. Don't use Entourage. Put all of my music, video and pictures on an external HD anyway.

Even Macs can get the blues :tongue:

I swear at times entourage can tie up all 8 of my CPU cores at 99.9% usage. Not sure what the hell it thinks it is try to do, but it appears outwardly to be doing nothing. I also hate that it doesn't support multiple calendars. I plan to upgrade to the mac version of mail as soon as I have a little bit of downtime. The mac mail program seems to do everything entourage can do, and more, without me ever even noticing it is open and running. I've been playing with it on my powerbook, and I have been generally happy so far.

Out of curiosity, what's the issue/symptom? (I'm running Entourage on an iMac w/ Snow Leopard.)

Out of curiosity, what's the issue/symptom? (I'm running Entourage on an iMac w/ Snow Leopard.)

starts slowing down and giving me the rainbow pinwheel of death. eventually just locks up.

I'm on my laptop now and the reformat has begun.

I'm going to pour a 40oz of diet Coke on the curb for my fallen homie :embarrassed:

Back