Yamaha Strat-Tele Partscaster...

paulskirocks

Blue Zone Compliant
OK, I had planned on chopping up another piece of the chunk of old growth redwood and make a Jazzmaster-Tele body... I planned on using a Yamaha neck for this build when I started thinking... Since I am trying out a new tremolo, I don't want to route out the redwood for the trem and then decide I don't like the trem... Also, the Yamaha neck is cut different than standard, so if something happens to the neck, it will not be an easy fix...

So, I decided to use both the Yamaha neck and body (The complete guitar cost me 50 bucks, a good buy for just the neck, which is well made)... Since I can't stand vintage or floating trems on strats, the third pickup, or the location of the volume knob, I had nothing to lose... So, I had to route out the trem cavity and the bridge pickup cavity a bit, route out for the tele controls, route a new pick guard, install locking tuners, and install a Graph Tech nut... All I have left to do is solder the output jack, level and crown frets, cut string slots in nut, set action and intonate...

So, it has Dimarzio Twang King pups, Sperzal locking tuners, 4-way switching, Trem King Tele tremolo, graph Tech nut, and a Yamaha EG 112 C2 neck and body...

Strat-to-Tele-Mod.jpg

That actually looks pretty neat. If it goes well are you going to use this as the template for your redwood guitar?

That actually looks pretty neat. If it goes well are you going to use this as the template for your redwood guitar?

Well, the weak point of this guitar may be the basswood body, so it will be an experiment... I know the guitar will play well, as I am pretty good at fret leveling and setup, and I know I like the Dimarzios... I tried the Trem King trem once in a store, and liked it, but time will tell... So, if the guitar ends up sounding good as it is, then I will probably keep it as a beater guitar, and build one out of the redwood, as well... However, me being me, I will have to order a set of BG Pups, as I do think they sound fuller than my Dimarzios... Plus, I may go with rails instead of single coils... Also, I will cut the body in the Jazzmaster shape, so I will have to make all the templates from scratch...

And, I have a 30 inch scale bass neck sitting here waiting for me to buy hardware and cut a body...

I would love to have something just like that.

Me too! It's easy... just take a 50 dollar beater, gut it, and add 500 bucks... Definitely not cheap, but cheap just doesn't ever get me what I actually want...

I love my redwood tele I built, and have no regrets on spending money on the 'good stuff'... I went to the store and tried a lot of teles, and I wouldn't trade mine for any of them...

Back