So I need to go to the dentist. I dont want to.

Chihlidog

Kick Henry Jackassowski
::):)(

I have a serious phobia. Needles period, AND to make it worse dentists. I have a really sensitive bump on the inside of my cheek. My teeth are fine actually but I think I got an infection in there and an abscess. I know I need an antibiotic. I actually made an appt the other day but they couldnt get me in till Monday.

If I am gonna spend all that time in this much pain I will just deal with it myself is sort of my attitude. I know that's stupid. Anyone have any tricks to get rid of this? I've been using peroxide and it helped a lot but this thing isnt gone.

Can't you just go to a dentist that'll give you some nitrous? No one gives a fuck about anything when they're on nitrous. You'll be like "Needles? Fuck yeah, just shove a handful of them things into my gums!!" Problem solved.

You could just go to one of those MedExpress walk in clinics and show them the abscess and get antibiotics, if you want.

You could just go to one of those MedExpress walk in clinics and show them the abscess and get antibiotics, if you want.

Really? They'll do that? I need to get in somewhere. Problem is if this thing goes away and I end up not in pain, I will blow off the dentist again. I know it's stupid but I know I will.

Also abcesses can get nasty and dangerous. Nut up and see a medical professional!

Yeah. I know that's what it amounts to. But I'm completely irrational about it. I can talk about it, even make the appointment. But once I get into a dentist's office, I freak even though it isnt ME they are touching.

I've heard the nitrous can be cool, but I have also heard about it not working. I'll be so pumped with adrenaline I doubt it will chill me out.

I hate going to the dentist, but not on a phobic level. It just always ends up costing me at least $200.00 per visit...

I have never heard of nitrous not working. You must have some stingy sadist dentists up there in Yankee country.

I have never heard of nitrous not working. You must have some stingy sadist dentists up there in Yankee country.

Well, I havent had real work done in a long time. And I have never had nitrous. Last filling I had wasnt horrible I suppose. The Last tooth I had pulled was horrendous, however. And I had orthodintic work done for 3 years, and they used techniques which I am convinced were invented during the freaking spanish inquisition.

Thanks Howie. I know I could count on you. :embarrassed:

i have a thing about dentists too. but here's the thing. either you take care of it now and get out relatively unscathed, or you let it sit and all of your worst fears come true. sucks, but that's the way it is.

last year for my birthday, my wife (then GF) took me to see Bill Cosby at Lincoln Center. his "encore" was the dentist bit. and even though i knew every word, it was still amazing.

i have a thing about dentists too. but here's the thing. either you take care of it now and get out relatively unscathed, or you let it sit and all of your worst fears come true. sucks, but that's the way it is.

last year for my birthday, my wife (then GF) took me to see Bill Cosby at Lincoln Center. his "encore" was the dentist bit. and even though i knew every word, it was still amazing.

Youre trying to get me to be reasonable and rational when I am NOT when it comes to dentists. I know I probably need other work done. At the very least a deep cleaning. Right now I just want to get out of pain. I honestly would have gone in on Sunday or Monday. Having me wait a week gives me time to 1) think about it and get myself even more hyped up, and 2) figure out ways to lessen it myself, so it totally killed my motivation.

I know I need some antibiotics, though.

I got my shrink to write me a prescription for Valium when I go. I had to go 2 weeks ago? I took two Valium and my iPod and it went ok. It's not 100% and if I didn't think I'd pass out I'd have gone with three, but it really helps. I didn't go for years before he suggested that and now I'm in every 6 months.

Youre trying to get me to be reasonable and rational when I am NOT when it comes to dentists. I know I probably need other work done. At the very least a deep cleaning. Right now I just want to get out of pain. I honestly would have gone in on Sunday or Monday. Having me wait a week gives me time to 1) think about it and get myself even more hyped up, and 2) figure out ways to lessen it myself, so it totally killed my motivation.

I know I need some antibiotics, though.

call now and tell them you're in pain. they'll see you immediately.

If you go the nitrous route, you'll have to have your wife or somebody drive you home. I don't think you're allowed to drive for something like 12 hours after.

Mrs. P is terrified of needles, and hates going to the dentist too.

Unfortunately, she has bad teeth, and usually ends up having to have work done at least every couple of years.

I, on the other hand, don't mind needles, or the dentist, and the most I've ever had to have done was a deep cleaning. That's the only time they've had to use a needle on me.

Of course, the most painful thing I've ever experienced was when the ER Dr. shoved a needle into the nerve of my big toe after the lawn mower incident. That was much more painful than the actual incident. :embarrassed:

I got my shrink to write me a prescription for Valium when I go. I had to go 2 weeks ago? I took two Valium and my iPod and it went ok. It's not 100% and if I didn't think I'd pass out I'd have gone with three, but it really helps. I didn't go for years before he suggested that and now I'm in every 6 months.

My wife was talking to one for me that said they'd give me a sedative (probably valium but didnt say specifically) beforehand, then gas me when I got there if they needed to, then proceed to numb me up and do whatever they needed to do. That guy doesnt take my insurance. I think this might work OK for me, I would be willing to give it a shot. Sort of. As long as I knew that if I still wasnt cool with it I could still get up and get out of there.

If they really drugged me to the point that I didnt care then obviously I'm cool with the whole thing.

If you go the nitrous route, you'll have to have your wife or somebody drive you home. I don't think you're allowed to drive for something like 12 hours after.

Mrs. P is terrified of needles, and hates going to the dentist too.

Unfortunately, she has bad teeth, and usually ends up having to have work done at least every couple of years.

I, on the other hand, don't mind needles, or the dentist, and the most I've ever had to have done was a deep cleaning. That's the only time they've had to use a needle on me.

Of course, the most painful thing I've ever experienced was when the ER Dr. shoved a needle into the nerve of my big toe after the lawn mower incident. That was much more painful than the actual incident. :embarrassed:

See, that's probably part of the reason I am so terrified. Worst pain I have ever felt was with a needle. I cut my eyelid many years ago. They had to stitch it up. Getting Novocaine injected into my eyelid was beyond description. My dad had to hold me down. I will never allow anyone to cause me that much pain again. I know the dentists needle isnt supposed to hurt that bad but I have a very, very serious thing about needles. I short circuit. I panic, it's a fight or flight thing, I wont allow anyone to stick me with them.

Last edited:
I have insurance. A visit only costs me 15 bucks.

Whenever I'm on the fence about going to the doc, or the dentist, or whatever, I remind myself that I pay for the insurance whether I use it or not.....and that's usually the push I need to get in and get taken care of.

DO NOT fuck around with that.

A few years ago I had a cracked molar that got infected... I put it off for a few days, then woke up one morning thinking SOMEONE IS DRILLING THROUGH MY SKULL!!!! :embarrassed: It was one of the most painful and annoying feelings in my life. NOTHING would releive it. The dentist gave me an antibiotic but had to schedule me with an Oral Surgeon. Those couple days before the surgery were sooooooo miserable. The stitches after the fact were a breeze in comparison.

The surgeon also explained that an infection like that can quite easily spread to the brain and KILL YOU..... I don't fuck around with stuff like that any more (and I floss all the time. :tongue: )

Back