The John Bonham Story (BBC iPlayer)

goodusername

Perma Banned
Four days availability left. I'll probably give it a listen tomorrow.

Link

John Henry 'Bonzo' Bonham, drummer with legendary rock outfit Led Zeppelin was born on 31 May 1948 and died, tragically, on September 25th 1980. Featuring exclusive new interview material from stars including Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and Carmine Appice, as well as the key industry figures and family and close friends - this is his story.
On September 25th 1980, John Bonham drank four quadruple vodkas for breakfast and continued drinking throughout the day. He was found dead the next morning, aged 32.
Presented by none other than 'Nirvana', 'Foo Fighters' and 'Them Crooked Vultures' star Dave Grohl, this programme takes the listener through Bonham's extraordinary life, to his legendary playing with Led Zeppelin to his tragic and untimely death. Not only does Grohl offer rock star profile, he also brings a real and deep understanding of the subject, both as a fellow drummer and a Zeppelin fan, and enormous musical credibility amongst his peers and his audience.
Beginning in Redditch, we hear of Bonham's boyhood obsession with rhythm, beating his mother's pots and pans into submission before moving into his early drumming education with bands across the West Midlands. From 1968 onwards, we piece together the moment Bonham's time as a session drummer ended with an invitation to join 'The New Yardbirds', led by Jimmy Page.
Told with wit, pace and a genuine love for the subject, this is the electrifying story of a rock'n'roll legend which will paint a picture of the greatest of rock drummers. With touching tales of his focus on family and friends alongside the infamous rock and roll excess. Set to a rich soundtrack of music the programme also shows how Led Zeppelin changed the course of rock history.
As the programme closes the listener will be left with an enduring image of a man whose destiny would be forged by his ferocious drumming style and his insatiable appetite for living life to the full.

Last edited:
how do I get to it?

Drink more tea. In fact, pour some tea into your computer.

Short (serious) answer is I don't know but plenty of ex colonials steal our free tv and radio so I'm sure somebody will be able to help you defraud our license fee.

Excellent, ta! :thu:

Mark, there are a couple of people over in GJ who know how to steal our stuff :embarrassed:..can't remember who, but I'm sure an "Achtung!!!" will work.

I just clicked the link, it's working for me. Opens right up in a media player. I'll probably listen to it later though, Don't have an hour right now.

Ok, so I finally found the time to listen tonight while grading. Just finished. Thanks for the link, great segment. :thu:

I gave it a listen yesterday while doing some paperwork (vat :mad:)

I'll post stuff of interest in the future as it seems a few people can access iPlayer.

Liking it. I've never really gave zep a chance but I'm really digging the tunes.

Maybe an itunes purchase is in order...

Liking it. I've never really gave zep a chance but I'm really digging the tunes.

Maybe an itunes purchase is in order...

uh, what?

You must be young. :)

Anyway, I HIGHLY encourage you to check out some Zep.
Try Physical Graffiti or Houses of the Holy (or Presence, or Zeppelin IV, or In Through The Out Door, or.....well, you catch the drift!)

As an aside, did you know (this could be a trivia question!), that the term "Heavy Metal" was coined about Led Zeppelin?

A reporter doing a review on their first album (or was it their second...?) said Jimmy Page's guitar sounded like "Heavy Metal falling from the sky."

WOW.

Last edited:
uh, what?

You must be young. :)

Anyway, I HIGHLY encourage you to check out some Zep.
Try Physical Graffiti or Houses of the Holy (or Presence, or Zeppelin IV, or In Through The Out Door, or.....well, you catch the drift!)

As an aside, did you know (this could be a trivia question!), that the term "Heavy Metal" was coined about Led Zeppelin?

A reporter doing a review on their first album said Jimmy Page's guitar sounded like "Heavy Metal falling from the sky."

WOW.

I was under the impression heavy metal came from some journalist saying Sabbath sounded like heavy metal being hit together.

Back