Need laptop recommendations.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Now that I've disassembled both laptops and discovered that I'm officially screwed I need to make plans to purchase a new one.

It doesn't have to be too bitchin' since we're primarily using it for internet and stuff at home. I can't afford a new Mac right now so I am looking at a Windows 7 laptop....I've decided not to go netbook because I don't want a tiny screen and I'll be using it the most....whatcha got?

I have actually heard decent things about ACER's, our IT guy at work says they are fine, and hard to beat the price.

But im going by hearsay, I have never owned a laptop, as i just know i would kill it in no time flat. :embarrassed:

My last two laptops were Sony Vaio. Both were great. But what I tell my clients is pick your price range. Take every laptop you find in that range and line up the ones with the size monitor and keyboard you want then buy the one with the fastest processor, most RAM and biggest hard drive.

Pretty much every computer has about the same components so I don't pay to much attention to brand.

My GF's HP is pretty nice and wasn't too expensive.

I'd just stay away from Toshiba Satetlite series, the one I had was awful.

Mrs. P and I both have Acers. They are pretty nice, especially for the price you pay. I have no complaints...and both of us are running Vista on them. I imagine Win7 would only make them better.

Now that I've disassembled both laptops and discovered that I'm officially screwed I need to make plans to purchase a new one.

It doesn't have to be too bitchin' since we're primarily using it for internet and stuff at home. I can't afford a new Mac right now so I am looking at a Windows 7 laptop....I've decided not to go netbook because I don't want a tiny screen and I'll be using it the most....whatcha got?

My last laptop was a very cheap Dell, nice computer worked well with windows 7. Used macbook for the win.
:thu:

My Acer developed a short in the connection for the power cable and, sometimes, the scren shuts off for no reason. Would not recommend for anything other than light home use.

brand names on a computer, ANY COMPUTER, are secondary to features...get the most you can get for your money, and don't sweat the name on it...

brand names on a computer, ANY COMPUTER, are secondary to features...get the most you can get for your money, and don't sweat the name on it...

I kind of disagree. IBM/Lenovo has been building well-featured and durable laptops for as long as I've been in business. I'm only on my second one since 2004, and I move the computer around a bunch. The only reason I needed an upgrade was because the video card in the older machine was not sophisticated enough to push my new, giant monitor. Otherwise I'd still be using my old R51.

My Sony Vaio that I bought in 2000 is also still going strong, and it feels solidly built.

My Acer does not have the same build quality as either the IBM/Lenovo or Sony. I couldn't vouch for modern Sony laptops, but I can say that the Lenovo T500 is a really nice machine that I expect to last me until I need something that will push a 3D or holographic monitor.

Some companies just build better hardware.

IBM/Lenovo are really solid, but my mum has an excellent Acer. I personally wouldn't buy a Toshiba or an HP as I've had bad experiences with both of them in the past. I actually have my mum's old HP downstairs which was a nice laptop but has had a wealth of problems over the years. I'm going to try to wipe the thing clean, but it will only run when plugged in... no battery will take a charge so that kinda makes it unpractical. :shrug:

Oh and why not shoot for a refurb Macbook (not a Pro?) http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC207LL/A?mco=MTU5MzE0Mzc

IBM/Lenovo are really solid, but my mum has an excellent Acer. I personally wouldn't buy a Toshiba or an HP as I've had bad experiences with both of them in the past. I actually have my mum's old HP downstairs which was a nice laptop but has had a wealth of problems over the years. I'm going to try to wipe the thing clean, but it will only run when plugged in... no battery will take a charge so that kinda makes it unpractical. :shrug:

Oh and why not shoot for a refurb Macbook (not a Pro?) http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC207LL/A?mco=MTU5MzE0Mzc

Here's the problem with that idea....I might as well just do this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB991LL/A?mco=MTA4MzI0OTE

If it works with buying a laptop and shipping to america, you can totally use my student discount for Apple if you want :embarrassed:

If it works with buying a laptop and shipping to america, you can totally use my student discount for Apple if you want :embarrassed:

I can get an educators discount, but it brings the price of what I want down to about only 3 times what I should be spending. :facepalm:

WTF? I can't qualify for one so how can you? :confused:

What I bought my iMac I asked, explained what I did and they told me to go ahead and claim the nearest public school to take my discount. Didn't make sense but I did it anyway :embarrassed:

Back