Good practice amp???

olds_cool63

Over The Top
Well, I bought a Behringer GM108 practice amp on April 15th. Last week, it started making a thud and static when playing. I have a replacement coming from Amazon tomorrow.

Only problem is, I'm not too confident in the brand after this, even though their wah wah pedal seems to hold up.

My question is, what's a good solid state practice amp. I kind of like the Fender Frontman 10G or the Marshall MGCD10 (I think that's the model).

Anyone out there with any experience on these 2 amps? I'm not limited to just those 2, so feel free to share what else you can.

Whatever I get has to have a headphone jack and mp3 input.

Thanks for any info!

Cool...thanks for those amps. I like the "clean" sound on the Fenders. Never played a Cube, though. Last time I played through a Vox was back in the mid-70's. I can definitely check those out.

Any Marshall owner's out there? Let's hear it!

For around 20 years, I used a Marshall Lead 12..brilliant amp. Unfortunately it died about 2 years ago :cry:..I used a Line6 Spider II for a while which was ok...but have now settled with a Vox Valvetronix VT15..great little amp. I only really use 2 sounds on it, but it's very versatile and great value...probably the least "boxy" sounding small combo I've heard. I did try the Marshall MG series, but preferred the "Marshall" sound of the Vox! :grin:

Some very good idea's out there. I'll look up all the ones mentioned. The replacement is coming today and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna send it back for something else.

Keep 'em coming, people.

Thanks!

using the small marshalls 10 and 15 watts amp with a guitar that has some good pickups probably will give you the tone you maybe looking for

I heard the marshall 10 watt and it's like wow! good practice amp, I've got a 20 watt marshall and it's more than enough for my needs :)

Man, I'm just not getting it.

I got my replacement Behringer GM108 today. Plugged in my brand new guitar, an Epiphone LP-100 which I just got yesterday (after Amazon sent me the WRONG color), and the new amp sounds exactly the same as the old one.

Thud when strumming hard, then muddy and static through the headphones. Keep in mind I tried 3 different headphones, 2 different adapters to connect the headphones to the amp and 2 brand new guitar cords.

I didn't crank it much without the headphones to test it...maybe tomorrow.

I'm most likely gonna get a new amp (another brand). I'm not having fun with this one.

Well, because I had TONS to do over the weekend, I didn't get to any amps, so I'll find some time during the week.

Maybe I'll hit some store during the week and do some tests. I really don't want to wait until the weekend. I'd like to have a new amp by this coming weekend if possible.

Last edited:
Well, the replacement amp is going back as it sounds just as badly as the original..with and without the headphones.

So, I'm looking all over now.

one of my students has this amp and i'm actually very suprised by it. cool amp.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...0-10W-1x6.5-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Black?sku=501640

Cool. Well, I've decided to go with something else. I decided to retire my old Hohner 1230 and get a Behringer (I know, I know) GTX30. I figure it will see double duty: practice and light gigging. Also, if I decide to use the Hohner again, I can pair it with the Behringer (line-out).

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/GTX30.aspx#documentation

I'm giving them another chance. I heard some good stuff about their amps, so we'll see how this one works out. THe little practice amp sounded like the speaker just couldn't keep up. And nothing beats a 12" speaker! It will be delivered Thursday.

I'll take it out of the box and try it out for a few hours and see what happens. If it sucks, it goes right back in the box and off to Amazon.

I'll do a write up on it.

Thanks for all the info, everybody.

Last edited:
One of the guys I teach with bought that exact Behringer... taught with it for a week, hated it and it went back.

One of the guys I teach with bought that exact Behringer... taught with it for a week, hated it and it went back.

Well, it just arrived here at my job (didn't want it sitting in front of my house all day).

So, I will put it through the ringer tonight, if it sucks, it goes back tomorrow.

I'll do a review and let you all know if it's "yay or nay".

Well, it just arrived here at my job (didn't want it sitting in front of my house all day).

So, I will put it through the ringer tonight, if it sucks, it goes back tomorrow.

I'll do a review and let you all know if it's "yay or nay".

:thu:

Back