need a use for (3) Greenbacks and (1) Jensen Special Design

Eminence_Front

Osiris Chickenfingers
Hey guys,

It's that season again where I dust off the lawnmower, and make room in the garage for Spring / Summer projects.

i have had these (3) Greenbacks (8ohm 25W) sitting around since early winter, and since been unable to seduce someone into a trade, or parting with the hard earned Dolla', I thought I might slap them into a cabinet and just hang onto them.

I swapped out the stock speaker in my Deluxe, which is a Jensen Special Design 12" 8-ohm, otherwise I'd have 4. So as is, it's (3) x 12" Greenbacks and (1) 12" Jensen Special Design.

What I am wondering is, 1.) is having this different speaker in a quad going to make an impact on the overlal sound, or is it going to be negligible ?

2.) What's a reasonable price to pay for an empty cabinet ? 4 x 12 ?

What are the pro's and con's of Slant vs. Straight.

Now seriously, I am never going to need a 4 x 12 extension cab, but I figure it might make for more interesting trade bait if I loaded them into a cabinet and put up a demo clip or something.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bd

Slant is going to be a bit more present and easy ot hear, where the straight is going to have some more bass response. I have no idea about the combo of all of them in a single 4x12 but Id think that the Jensen character might be a bit overwhelmed. Maybe a 2x12 with the Jensen and a Greenback and keep trying to unload the leftover greenies?

I find the biggest difference between slant and straight cabs is with dispersion. Slants point the speakers more toward your ears so you can hear them better. They also have the top two speakers and the bottom two speakers on a seperate plane, so the sound isn't quite so focused.

Don't know how much an unloaded 412 goes for, but you can often find old 412s with crappy speakers in pawn shops for pretty cheap, so you might think about going that route, even though that'll leave you with 4 more crappy speakers.

I wouldn't think the one non-greenback would affect the overall tone too much, but if the single speaker is a lot more efficient than the Greenies (and Greenbacks aren't all that efficient), it might make a bit of difference. As long as the Jenson doesn't suck, I'd say give it a shot and see what happens.

I was watching the video below of Steve Vai's gear. He uses a 3 x 12" monitor that contains a Fender in the middle flanked by 2 Carvins.

Skip to 4:50 if you want to get right to it

I agree with Kerouac that the Jensen might get swallowed up in a 412, but that 312 intrigues me and a 212 is always cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
can't do 212 because they're 8-ohm.

I need to run two-pairs in parallel to get an 8-ohm load on my Deluxe ext. jack.

That $40 cab could be made of particleboard, but for $40, it'll at least give you a useable cabinet to mount your speakers in. Plus, you can probably sell the speakers that are in it (provided they work at all) for $10 each or something.

its made in Taiwan by Smarvo, so i am going to assume it is MDF construction.

in any case, other than weight there isn't a huge helluva difference in the two. (although Pine is much more moisture resilient.)

I called the dude, he's still got it, and he's 4 blocks from me, so.....Seems like a win.win.

I'll have to rewire it since the mode switch is setup for Mono-4/16ohm and 8+8 Stereo.

Back