Guitars...they're fun to talk about, look at, GAS over etc...but...

meandi

Little Hot Wing
...the bottom line IS, they're fer makin music. :rim: Totally_jammin_out
Thought it would be interesting to have a thread about what everyones musical thang is.:lol:

Today being Saturday, I have a 5 hour rehearsal tonight with the 5 piece, where I'm the rhythm guitarist.
They've been together about 8 years...recently lost the bassist & the rhythm player, who's spot i got...120 song play list that the bassist & I are still comming up to speed on, so no gigs scheduled yet.
Genre is 60s/70s British pop.

Next...

One of my friends who I work with on an industrial band/project is coming out around 5 and we're going to grab dinner and then go get drunk and record for a couple of hours.

OK, I've gotten much more eclectic over the years, but I still luvs muh metal, and other heavy music forms. I also occcasionally dabble in jazz, and more infrequently so, in rockabilly. I have no fear of using hollow and semi-hollow guitars at high gain (for a long time, my main gigging guitar, was a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion). They have a wonderful throatiness to their sound a high gain, plus with the added advantge of sound nice and smokey/smooth in a jazz manner soundwise (which I prefer for clean stuff, over twang), when you turn down. I'm bandless at the present time, and it's a bummer!! :( But I, hardly know anybody here, so networking for gigs is a pain. When I do play out, I do lead, and rhythmn guitar (with a bias towards doing most of the lead playing), and vocals (both lead and backing - singing is FUN!!).

Last edited:
I'm trying to get the balls to turn on the recorder and try something for the next recordingfest...

...JEEZUS...I'm such a spineless fuck...

OK, I've gotten much more eclectic over the years, but I still luvs muh metal, and other heavy music forms. I also occcasionally dabble in jazz, and more infrequently so, in rockabilly. I have no fear of using hollwo and semi-holow guitars at high gain (for a long time, my main gigging guitar, was a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion). They have a wonderful throatiness to thier sound a high gain, plus with the added advantge of sound nice and smokey/smooth in a jazz manner sound (which I prefer for clean stuff, over twang), when you turn down. I'm bandless at the present time, and it's a bummer!! :( But I, hardly know anybody here, so networking for gigs is a pain. When I do play out, I do lead, and rythmn guitar (with a bias towards doing most of the lead playing), and vocals (both lead and backing - singing is FUN!!).

Sounds like you're quite a versatile player.
I was hanging out in my fav mom & pop music store a couple of days ago, where I work part time & their was a couple of guys in there doing some fierce acoustic Zep & such...I admitted to them that I didn't start playing till I was in my 50's & how much I wish I'd discovered the guitar when I was a kid, so I could tear it up the way they were doing it.
I've got a great teacher though, so I'm coming along a little bit at a time.

I am a hack guitarist, playing for 30 years.. I write and record original tunes to amuse myself and to be able to leave something behind when I die, other than debt... I miss playing in bands... I don't miss the headache of dealing with flaky musicians, though... I really like playing parties... At 45, I still like hard rock and metal, am obnoxious, and haven't grown up (except that I never flake on rehearsal and leave my personal problems at the door), so I have a difficult time finding guys my age that want to do something other than 12 bar or classic rock covers...

I'm actually writing music not for one but hopefully two albums this year...one with my band Felt but the first one is going to be my first "solo" outing..the music is coming together pretty nicely but I'm stuck on lyrics right now.

I have a window of mid-May to the end of July to get the solo album recorded before my buddy who is engineering it (El Borrachito here on the forum) has his second kid and time becomes scarce.

The new music is going to be a little more "groove oriented" than the last album we did but here are a few song from Felt:

These two will probably be on the next album

These are from "Desert Center"

Last edited:
I'm trying to get the balls to turn on the recorder and try something for the next recordingfest...

...JEEZUS...I'm such a spineless fuck...

Nothing ventured nothing gained....

I'm actively rehearsing my first complete original song.

EG

Ya, I write as well.
Actually original material is probably my strongest area of interest musically.
I'm looking for a collaboration partner...so far, no one has the patience to invest in developing arrangements etc.

btw: El Borrachito is playing the other guitar in the videos and tylerwalton (from the forum) is playing drums in the videos above.

Sounds like you're quite a versatile player.
I was hanging out in my fav mom & pop music store a couple of days ago, where I work part time & their was a couple of guys in there doing some fierce acoustic Zep & such...I admitted to them that I didn't start playing till I was in my 50's & how much I wish I'd discovered the guitar when I was a kid, so I could tear it up the way they were doing it.
I've got a great teacher though, so I'm coming along a little bit at a time.

Thanks! :) Play because you love to - irregardless of how well you play. I've been playing for 31 years. I've played with guys at jam sessions, who've destroyed me playingwise. It's a humbling experience. But you know something?, it helps to keep me real. Besides, just because you have chops galore, doesn't mean your playing (or songs for that matter), are fun and/or interesting to listen to. A good song is a good song - irregardless of how complex it is. For example, I was just listening to The Stooges, "I Wanna Be Your Dog." It's a very basic song. But it's cool, and definitely far better IMO, than for instance most of shredder Malmsteen's stuff!

The bandless situation is in part due to the fact, that having moved here 6 years ago for my job, I'm finding it difficult to network with other musicians, since I hardly know any of them (which wasn't the case in my hometown).

LOL!!!!! You continually crack me up...

Thanks, but I don't get it.

Nothing ventured nothing gained....

Ya, I write as well.
Actually original material is probably my strongest area of interest musically.
I'm looking for a collaboration partner...so far, no one has the patience to invest in developing arrangements etc.

This is why I even learned to play this damned instrument. Nobody was interested in my songs so I figured I'll have to just do it myself.

EG

I am a hack guitarist, playing for 30 years.. I write and record original tunes to amuse myself and to be able to leave something behind when I die, other than debt... I miss playing in bands... I don't miss the headache of dealing with flaky musicians, though... I really like playing parties... At 45, I still like hard rock and metal, am obnoxious, and haven't grown up (except that I never flake on rehearsal and leave my personal problems at the door), so I have a difficult time finding guys my age that want to do something other than 12 bar or classic rock covers...

Paul, I'm 46, and I have the EXACT same problem. It seems that when we hit our 40s, we're expected to blues, and classic rock out. I don't want to do that. I play in bands for the fun of it, and I like the tunes we're doing, not just for the "thrill" of playing onstage (been playing in front of people, since I was in 6th grade back in 1975/76). I certainly never got rich doing it, but there's something about playing with other people, that makes it so much more fun for me, than playing by myself. Musically, the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. I don't know why I feel this way (maybe it's because most of my musical background comes from playing in an ensemble context [symphonic and jazz bands] from grade school through my 2nd year of college), but I do. I still find it fun to play by myself, but I find it more fun to play with other people.

Last edited:
btw: El Borrachito is playing the other guitar in the videos and tylerwalton (from the forum) is playing drums in the videos above.

I'''ve heard several of your vids & really enjoy your work.
You remind me a lot of my teacher, stylistically.

Thanks! :) Play because you love to - irregardless of how well you play. I've been playing for 31 years. I've played with guys at jam sessions, who've destroyed me playingwise. It's a humbling experience. But you know something?, it helps to keep me real. Besides, just because you have chops galore, doesn't mean your playing (or songs for that matter), are fun and/or interesting to listen to. A good song is a good song - irregardless of how complex it is. For example, I was just listening to The Stooges, "I Wanna Be Your Dog." It's a very basic song. But it's cool, and definitely far better IMO, than for instance most of shredder Malmsteen's stuff!

The bandless situation is in part due to the fact, that having moved here 6 years ago for my job, I'm finding it difficult to network with other musicians, since I hardly know any of them (which wasn't the case in my hometown).

Lovin it's the only reason I play...I'm way too old (63) to be doing it to shag chicks or anything silly like that. LOL

This is why I even learned to play this damned instrument. Nobody was interested in my songs so I figured I'll have to just do it myself.

EG

Only valid reason, there''s 10,000,000 song writers out there...

OK, I'm waiting for the word police to show up... :)

Don't taze me mr. occifer.

I'm actually writing music not for one but hopefully two albums this year...one with my band Felt but the first one is going to be my first "solo" outing..the music is coming together pretty nicely but I'm stuck on lyrics right now.

I have a window of mid-May to the end of July to get the solo album recorded before my buddy who is engineering it (El Borrachito here on the forum) has his second kid and time becomes scarce.

The new music is going to be a little more "groove oriented" than the last album we did but here are a few song from Felt:

These two will probably be on the next album

These are from "Desert Center"

A few songs from our album "Desert Center"

Over Pennsylvania - http://www.markwein.com/soundfiles/F...nnsylvania.mp3

Indio - http://www.markwein.com/soundfiles/Indio.MP3

Here is our album on iTunes:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=39360564

Here we are on Myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/feltmusic

Good stuff Mark!! It has kind of a hard driving jam band oriented vibe to it, without being too laid back!! :thu: I can understand the lyrics dilemma. That's my problem with writing originals. I have tons of music ideas, riffs, and even embryonic songs, but the lyrics. :facepalm: Two words that readily come to mind, when I think of my lyrics, are cliched, and/or whiney. :facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back