Weekend Wrapup

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Friday - tried installing a new pickup in my The Paul and had problems so I didn't bring the guitar to my gig that night. Really struggled through my gig...lost my voice about 1/2 way through the first set and just had a bad night all around. Sometimes it happens...no fun :( On the upside a bunch of friends came out and one was the singer from my very first "working" band after college, whom I haven't seen in nearly 20 years. That was pretty cool. :)

Saturday - got the pickup figured out. Went home from work and then went to a family birthdayparty..ate too much and came home

Sunday worked in the yard almost all day. its been raining or wet on the weekends so its been a while since I've mowed the lawn. Today we did a ton of yardwork and my hand-me-down lawn mower died before I was done..I have a 50'x3' strip of 6" grass in the backyard still :embarrassed: Went and pickup up our new patio furniture and struggled putting it together for a bit and then we went to Lazy Dog Cafe for dinner...if you sit on the patio you can bring your dog so Jack got to go to the restaurant with us :embarrassed:

Friday - Ran errands with mum and later that night I went out drinking/dinnering with some friends.

Sat - Slept in until 2!!!! :love: Played some Final Fantasy, drank half a bottle of vodka and late Sat/early Sun I apparently did not receive a trouser friendly kiss from MILF #2. :rolleyes:

Sun - Did some laundry, played Final Fantasy.

friday: had massive migraine. stayed home and watched Fletch. i'm still trying to decide if it's intentionally bad or just plain terrible. i'm leaning towards the former.

saturday: lessons. 60 mph winds destroyed my umbrella and almost made for pancake howie on the train platform. learned how to file frets, but i'm definitely not good at it. went out for mexican food. saw Henry Rollins at Irving Plaza (i refuse to call it "The Fillmore"). as usual, he talked for 3 hours and ended on the dot. "life is like running full speed at an airplane propeller. your head is going to explode and your heart is going to get ripped out. put yourself back together and go do it again. if it's got you down, well, that's what there's Tom Waits records for."

sunday: cleaning. groceries. baseball. and i'm currently obsessed with computer chess. i'm terrible, but that's besides the point.

friday: had massive migraine. stayed home and watched Fletch. i'm still trying to decide if it's intentionally bad or just plain terrible. i'm leaning towards the former.

saturday: lessons. 60 mph winds destroyed my umbrella and almost made for pancake howie on the train platform. learned how to file frets, but i'm definitely not good at it. went out for mexican food. saw Henry Rollins at Irving Plaza (i refuse to call it "The Fillmore"). as usual, he talked for 3 hours and ended on the dot. "life is like running full speed at an airplane propeller. your head is going to explode and your heart is going to get ripped out. put yourself back together and go do it again. if it's got you down, well, that's what there's Tom Waits records for."

sunday: cleaning. groceries. baseball. and i'm currently obsessed with computer chess. i'm terrible, but that's besides the point.

...Fletch is a great movie, so is the sequel...also, they tried to change the name of the Theater of the Living Arts (TLA) in Philly to "The Filmore at the TLA"...lasted about 6 months before the old marquee was back up...incidentally, this venue was actually started by Ann Ramsey, of The Goonies and Throw Mama From the Train fame...the more you know...

Fletch is my 5th favorite movie of all time. :annoyed:

what site do you use for chess? I'm terrible too, but that's besides the point. :embarrassed:

Friday: worked. Finished recording a song and sent it to Phil to add some 'dope' bass.

Saturday: played basketball with co worked for a good 3 hours. Hyper flexed my elbow. Hurt like a mofo.

Sunday: Bought Arkham Asylum for only 22 bucks on Steam (w00t!) played some. Got called in for work. Got my scheule or this week, and I got 17 hours throughout the week. love0 Best part is, that bitch I always complain about lost some of hers to me. I could tell she was PISSED. :grin:

Friday: I don't think we did much. Probably just lounged and watched a movie.

Saturday: Mrs. P went to the Asian market in Columbus with some friends. I spent the day working on a song and video. Once Mrs. P got home, we had sushi for dinner, then watched another movie.

Sunday: Watched a movie in the morning, then went to Charleston for a hash run. After the run, I worked on my video for a while.

This morning, I can't get my video to load. :mad:

Friday...lounged, watched the box.

Sat...pack. trailer for florida. Lowes run for some materials.

Sun...watched new in town with mrs t. A little more packing, laundry, dog food run. Worked on MKII pedal build. Fuzz, we has it. No guitar except for 5 min to make some quickie clips.

Friday...lounged, watched the box.

Sat...pack. trailer for florida. Lowes run for some materials.

Sun...watched new in town with mrs t. A little more packing, laundry, dog food run. Worked on MKII pedal build. Fuzz, we has it. No guitar except for 5 min to make some quickie clips.

With no soccer, it was a pretty lazy weekend. It was kind of nice not to have to be somewhere. Although I did spend the better part of Sunday practicing for the BBQ competition next weekend. We made ribs about 5 different ways and had all the neighbors rate them. That was pretty fun and the eats were good.

Friday:

Got up and went to my buddies shop to help him with a project, and make some rocket motor parts. Then I drove to Bellaire to Short's Brewing Company to pick up a keg of my new favorite beer. I needed the new smaller sized 1/4 tall keg that they had in order to make room for a keg of home brew in the fridge.

image019-800.jpg

Short's Huma Lupa Licious.

image018-800.jpg

Keg fridge filling up.

I transferred by first home brew from the fermenter into the keg and chilled it in the keg. A few hours later, I force carbonated it, and let it chill over night.

Saturday, I went back to the shop to do some more rocket part work, then went home to start brewing my next batch of beer. I used what I learned from the first batch to make improvements on this one, and the brew day went really well. I didn't hit my target OG, but I still think this brew will turn out pretty damn tasty. While the boil was going on, I went down to pull a glass of batch #1 off the tap...

26743_10150162336930553_790740552_11522527_1528956_n.jpg

It looks better than it tastes. As I worried about, I did screw up the hops, and this did not turn out to be an IPA. It's pretty bland, with just a hint of bitter along with a malty backbone. My wife actually likes it, and asked for a glass to have with dinner last night. She doesn't like beer....:embarrassed:

Saturday evening I continued getting some rocket motor orders going. I got a HUGE order to fill for a university in San Diego. I passed out on the couch, exhausted.

Sunday the plan was to help the wife with the ongoing kitchen painting project. We lost an hour due to the DST thing and got a late start. We needed to pick up some groceries and painting supplies in town, and I needed to get a run in (missed my Saturday run - too busy..:mad: ), so I hatched an idea to go shopping dressed in my running gear, and run just run home.

It's about 7.6 miles from town to home, and I wanted to run 10, so I planned a loop around town before heading home.

What I didn't plan on was how COLD it was going to be. I planned on dropping my hooded sweatshirt before I started, but it was so cold, I had to run in it. It sucked. It also sucked that there was a strong headwind (10-15 MPH) almost all the way down the long, straight road to home. It also sucked that I ran the first 4 miles sub 9 minute miles, and ran the whole 10.3 miles at an average pace of 9:35.

I was glad to see the house. I don't think I could have run another 500 feet..:embarrassed:

Then it was time to get to painting. It went well, and I went behind Mrs. Moore, fixing what she had painted (she's not real good at it, but she tries hard). I have been dreading moving the fridge to paint behind it, and I made the decision that if I was going to move that bastard, it was only going to be ONCE - into the garage. So, I told wifey that I'd finish painting next week, after I ordered a new fridge. She was happy about that.

After most of the painting was done (except behind the fridge), I worked on finishing up the rocket motor order while drinking Huma Lupa Licious. :love:

Busy weekend, I guess.

I did a lot of work at home this weekend. Work has been incredibly busy for me lately and I am trying to catch up.

Picked up Assassin's Creed, but I dont like the controls at ALL, I dunno if I am going to end up playing it or not. Sucks because this is the second game Ive purchased in the last few weeks that proved a waste. I got Mass Effect a little while back, but the sound for it is all borked on my PC.

Friday - 1W and I both had the day off, so we slept late, did some grocery shopping, made a big midday meal, and did some cleaning, and general maintenance in the garage/workshop getting ready for the next project.

Saturday - started aforementioned next project. I'm building marble top end tables and a coffee table. Kind of a modern/clean line "IKEA" ish design but built with actual nice hardwood instead of particleboard. Got all of the legs and "undercarriage" parts for both end tables milled and assembled.

Sunday - went looking for a replacement carafe for our coffee maker (yeah, good luck with that). Then some other miscellaneous shopping. Waited around for the rain to stop, then fired up the charcoal grill and cooked a bunch of burgers, wings, and chicken breasts. Ate way too much. Then more work on the tables. Stayed up too late reading a good book. It was fun, but now I'm tired.

Spent Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday at a writing workshop.

Saturday night involved about 15 people from the workshop drinking and eating in my kitchen until 5am. A couple of the guys from Kids in the Hall were there. Who's the big fan from GJ? Uma?

Sunday was spent one of the biggest hangovers of my life. The whole weekend was way more than my body was ready for, clearly. Beyond exhausted.

friday night: took the kids out to dinner (barbeque) then we chilled at home watching tv and actually having some conversation!

saturday: conner had his first basketball game (city league 7-8 grade) of the spring season....they won and conner had a really good game! chilled with the kiddos saturday night....

sunday: conner went to a birthday party so i took jessie to her favorite mexican restaurant that conner hates....my friend karen came over in the afternoon to go for a walk and to go checkout a geocache within walking distance of my house....it was a beautiful day but really windy....we couldn't find the geocache but had fun anyway....chilled again with the kids in the evening....

I did a lot of work at home this weekend. Work has been incredibly busy for me lately and I am trying to catch up.

Picked up Assassin's Creed, but I dont like the controls at ALL, I dunno if I am going to end up playing it or not. Sucks because this is the second game Ive purchased in the last few weeks that proved a waste. I got Mass Effect a little while back, but the sound for it is all borked on my PC.

Did you get one or two?

and i'm currently obsessed with computer chess. i'm terrible, but that's besides the point.

I'm warning you now - chess is like crack - you'll never fully get over it. I spent a couple of years in semi-serious chess study on my own. Played tournaments, beat a few good players. Then I just ran out of time to study when the kids started coming....

Friday - Practiced guitar a bit - worked out some stuff for the cover fest. Smoked a pork loin and about 6# of chicken breasts. That was supposed to finish up around 1:embarrassed:0AM. I went to bed at 3:30 AM.

Saturday - Up early to take my wife to a scrapbooking day, then off to the spice shop for more paprika & cumin. I ran a bunch of errands, then came home and did a bunch of yard work. Trimming the apple tree without the proper equipment was a bit of a pain, but I got it done. Maybe we will get some apples this year. Had a bad situation blow up in my face this week at our church (not my fault at least) and it got worse on Saturday evening - ended up in a long conversation with several staff to clear the air at the Starbucks across from our house. Got to bed late again.

Sunday - Went to breakfast with a friend and just talked for about 90 minutes. Came home and the weather went south - spitting rain/snow and cool all day so I lazed around, played a bit of WOW, started a fire in the fireplace. Made some Mahi Mahi for dinner (quite good!) and then watched Iron Chef America.

Back