NBD Squier Pino Pallidinon’t Edition

0C10A206-1531-4266-8848-28B631D6C52D.jpeg

I was in Eng-ger-lnd and local pawn shop had this for 120 currency units on Christmas Eve but I have too many basses and really.

On boxing day the shop (“store”) was closed and the bass was hidden behind the counter anyway.

But today it was in the window for 84 currency units and how many basses is too many anyway?

The action isn’t great and the relic job is absurd but it is after all strung with flats.

Cool! I love what I have heard of Pino.

Pino is great. This is a red Squier P-bass with a tort guard played by an idiot.

But having cranked the trussrod and almost decked the saddles (I think it wants shimming but I’m not THAT kinky) the action is now moderately playable. Next step will be plugging it in. (The electrics work, but I checked that in the store with a tiny guitar amp with the gain set fizzier than a shaken cole.)

OK, so I cracked and shimmed it. The corksniffing luthiers say you absolutely shouldn't just put a strip of business card at the body end of the neck cavity, which is fine because I am not businessy enough to have a business card anyway. I used a ferry ticket instead. Ferry tickets are noted for their uncompromising transmission of sustain, it's the fresh sea air they are steeped in. It seemed fine when not under tension but now it's back up to pitch I'm starting to think I undercooked it and I may be back for a second round.

Still if you're going to learn the kinks of teching, this is the bass to do it on.

Shimming 2.0 has fixed the action, but exposed a fret buzz on the D-string, 12th fret. Using a bank card as a straight edge, the fret is clearly high there. Borrowing a triangular file off of a better equipped colleague to see if I can fix that too; for the rest it now plays significantly better than it looks, not that that's a high bar.

E3F359A9-03EA-4C67-BD30-092B67E2C97F.jpeg

Borrowed a file, scratched that fret up. Made ineffectual gesture at recrowning the dressed bit.

Repeated a couple of times. It’s not done well, but it is done: no more buzz.

7729B0A4-ED00-4861-BB23-21D9A0BFDE1C.jpeg
Saw Coco today with my kids and a bunch of loaners. Fantastic movie, with plenty of guitars and a lot of skeletons. (None of our party left early in tears, though.)

I wasn’t going to sticker this guitar - I pretend to believe I’m looking after it for some future punka - but the skeletons said I really should so I have.

Back