Oh well hey there guys, now there is video from the other night's ridiculous gig, yes there is!

I can't understand folks who reply to a Craigslist ad and then try to turn the project into something else. I had a keyboard player I started working with for original material; he kept wanting to add more cover songs to the list. If you want to play covers, good for you, but respond to an ad for a cover band, not originals.

I can't understand folks who reply to a Craigslist ad and then try to turn the project into something else. I had a keyboard player I started working with for original material; he kept wanting to add more cover songs to the list. If you want to play covers, good for you, but respond to an ad for a cover band, not originals.

Boy, do I disagree. How many great things in life come from leaving yourself open to possibility?

Boy, do I disagree. How many great things in life come from leaving yourself open to possibility?
My time for music is limited; I choose to spend it in a way that brings me happiness. After working two jobs, I want to do what I enjoy, not something I don't enjoy. I did the cover song thing for years and have had enough.

I think the point is that one can't always predict what may bring happiness. A great many of my growth moments in life were not pre-planned. That very definitely includes music.

Just because someone may not fit into a plan you had, doesn't mean they may not be important to you.

I think the point is that one can't always predict what may bring happiness. A great many of my growth moments in life were not pre-planned. That very definitely includes music.

Just because someone may not fit into a plan you had, doesn't mean they may not be important to you.
I'll grant you that. But, I wouldn't go to McDonalds and ask for a Whopper, or go to a Ford Dealer and ask them to sell me a Chevy. Why would I answer a Craigslist ad and insist the person do something other than what they want. How do you go from Rockabilly to Nirvana?

Those are irrelevant situations as well as false dichotomies.

How do you go from Rockabilly to Nirvana? Probably by turning down the reverb and adding a ProCo Rat or DS-1? I .... don't understand the question.

Here are some genres that I play on a very regular basis, and since genres are arbitrary, I will name soundalike bands

* Garage-psych (Black Angels)
* "Classic" indie rock (Pavement, Yo La Tengo)
* Post rock (Tortoise)
* Noisy AF Postpunk (Sonic Youth to Psychic TV)
* Alt Country (Sixteen Horsepower, Townes Van Zandt)
* Weird krautrock - dub stuff (Cabaret Voltaire, early Ministry)
* Odd semi-classical instrumentals (Vini Reilly is a reference, though I can't sound like him)
* Shoegaze (Ride, Slowdive)
* A lot of different EDM-ish stuff with a Big Beat emphasis (Fatboy Slim, U.N.K.L.E.)

And that's just personally - I may go for months without hitting one of those, but it's always a possibility. I also record the kids at school, everything from Adele to Djent to Black Metal.

I am busy, I work from 6:50 a.m. t0 2:40, and then there's grading and about 12 hours a week of outside of school stuff.

If someone came along and said "hey, I know it ain't your thing, but want to do some reggae covers of the Eagles?" I might say 'yes.' I might not. But doing so has nothing to do with whether or not I pursue my interest in the list above.

I'm just bored at work ... advocating for adventure. Sorry if I annoyed you. It's my special talent.

Hey, Dread Zeppelin got a LOT of mileage of an Elvis impersonator singing reggae mashups of Elvis and Zeppelin. And it was a hell of a lot of fun to listen to!

25bffe1339beeb8ca7da9558d40a7f49.jpg

Here we are

Back