Question: Could use alittle advice on strings and such.

Wyatt

Kick Henry Jackassowski
We were going to pass my brothers rarely played Series 10 bass on to my 11yo for Christmas (he plays double bass at school).

I wanted to get it cleaned up and maybe put some strings on it. But I know diddly about bass strings. And basic advice on brand, size, etc. It's a full-scale bass on a 11yo boy, so I don't know if lighter strings would be better.

Also, any low-cost affordable headphone amps you recommend, I'm looking at the Vox AmPlug, not sure if it's worth it. I have a larger amp covered for the short term, I figure the normal channel of my Vibroverb can handle bass, the speaker is a Emi Legend 1518.

Warwick red labels sound a bit bright but hold up for a hell if a long time, are cheap and have a good tension that is not too tight or loose.

If I was to get a starter amp for bedroom practice I would look into the vox pathfinder bass for the money and forgo a dedicated headphone affair. Maybe a blackstar fly bass if the vox doesn't have a headphone jack.

D’Addario half-rounds are great. They have a nice punch for rock but are smooth on the outside so they play without squeaks. Monoprice has $10 headphone amps.

I like D'Addario's, they're cheap and last a long time (current set on my P bass going on 7 yrs). Maybe get a good condition small amp w/ a headphone jack and maybe RCA plugs to practice along with whatever kids are playing music through these days.

I like LaBella strings. Both flatwound and roundwound. Smurfco likes Thomastik Infeld strings and hates LaBella. YMMV.

As for headphone amps, you may want to look into the iRig HD. Just make sure you know whether it's an Apple or Android/Windows device. The app itself kinda sucks, but it's a good mobile interface for use with Garageband.

Last edited:
I still like the Ampeg ba-8 fir a practice amp.
It has a headphone jack and does boom for a small amp.

Reading through and noting everyone's responses. Thank you. Would reply more but been a s***ty, hectic day at work.

As for headphone amps, you may want to look into the iRig HD. Just make sure you know whether it's an Apple or Android/Windows device. The app itself kinda sucks, but it's a good mobile interface for use with Garageband.

Hadn't though of something like iRig, he has an iPad Mini he uses on weekends (no iPhone at age 11).

Back