Oh well hey there guys, now there is video from the other night's ridiculous gig, yes there is!

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
So a few weeks ago I posted an ad trying to find a rhythm section for a rockabilly trio. I got some interest from a few different folks, including a bassist and drummer package deal. I've been talking back and forth with the bassist for a while and yesterday our e-mail conversation went like this.

The ad I posted, in case you want to see it: https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/muc/d/still-looking-for-rockabilly/6402782772.html

smurfco: (sends rockabilly set list, which includes some country-ish tunes like Johnny Cash)
bassist: We need to keep things upbeat, also I don't want to play any country. Do you know any newer tunes, Green Day, Killers, Nirvana?
smurfco: ....um, I want this to be a 50s/60s rockabilly band, no newer songs. And a lot of rockabilly is very country flavored.
bassist: well, that will never work if you want to play a lot of bars. We also need to add some SRV.
smurfco: I don't want to waste your time but I think you and I have different goals here, I don't think it's a good fit.
bassist: well that's okay, here's a set list of 50s/60s rock (and it actually is). Want to play a gig Wednesday night?
smurfco: As in the day after tomorrow? Where?
bassist: There's a dive bar that runs an open jam with a backline, I'm friends with the guy that runs it. He says we can play a whole set. Yes day after tomorrow.
smurfco: Sure, why not?

I wonder how this will go...

You could start a whole new genre of turning 90s grunge rock into rockabilly. You may be onto something here...

As far as the gig goes, good luck. It'll probably fun, especially if it's just a little dive bar on a Wednesday night. I take it you guys haven't jammed or anything, right? You're a very talented musician, and assuming those guys have chops, the gig will go fine.

You could move near me in Michigan, I'd love to get a swing/rockabilly/rock thing going (been writing and recording w/ a singer). Plus I play bass!
Seems near impossible to get a guitarist to play rockabilly.
Good luck with the show, hope the other guys are decent.

You could start a whole new genre of turning 90s grunge rock into rockabilly. You may be onto something here...

As far as the gig goes, good luck. It'll probably fun, especially if it's just a little dive bar on a Wednesday night. I take it you guys haven't jammed or anything, right? You're a very talented musician, and assuming those guys have chops, the gig will go fine.
I've never met these guys. Talked to one guy on the phone for maybe five minutes last night.

They could be total assholes! We'll find out!

Maybe get HIAR to show up and heckle from the crowd if things go off track. You could tell him if he could do it better to get up on stage, then play some of your own stuff and pretend to be improvising. Good times.

And video, you just have to.

Advice: loosen up. He's opinionated, you're opinionated, and you are correct that you share different goals. He was basically implying "OK, we're not going to be a long time rockabilly trio, but WTF do you want to screw around with this night at the bar?"

Which shows a sense of adventure, and hell, he might be an a-hole who can't play, smells bad and looks funny, and that sounds like potential friendship material to me right there.

Back