Anyone else share my love of tiny old European cars?

huskerdude

Not Rocket Appliances
I think this is about the coolest looking thing on Earth:
798px-Fiat_2300.JPG

Most people (especially car guys) just tend to roll their eyes when I start going on about Fiats and Citroëns, but come on, how can you deny this?
800px-Ami_6_berline.jpg

I always thought the Citroëns were cool. Way back when I was a bodyman and worked as an apprentice to a guy in Columbia, SC who was well known in the area. His specialty was older foreign cars and I got my education stripping them to bare metal and refinishing them. I completely restored a '53 Bentley, a '62 Jag E type (still my favourite) a '61 Austin Healey amongst others. We also restored domestic cars, but I always loved working on the older mostly Bristish cars. We actually had a toolset for these cars called "Imperial" I think... not SAE or Metric. I spent months on that Jag. :cool:

Not English but I almost bought this last summer to restore:

rambler009.jpg

rambler007.jpg

rambler006.jpg

rambler003.jpg

I would have looked like a Shriner driving it but it looked like a cool project I could take on myself and just be able to drive around town in.

I don't know very much about European cars...

I do have a soft spot for those little european jobbies. Actually all micros, i'd love to have a nice example of an old Honda 600.

If i won the lottery i'd have a BMW Isetta in my garage. :thu:

I couple of years ago I was this close to buying an old "new class" BMW 2002:
bmw2002.jpg

I figured San Francisco probably wasn't the best place to learn to drive stick, however, especially on a 35 year old clutch. :embarrassed:

I couple of years ago I was this close to buying an old "new class" BMW 2002:
bmw2002.jpg

I figured San Francisco probably wasn't the best place to learn to drive stick, however, especially on a 35 year old clutch. :embarrassed:

Yeah, hill starting can be tough learning with a stick, although if you use the ebrake technique its not so bad.

I'd love an old 2002 Tii. :thu:

Here is an Isetta. So cool. :thu:

caep_0802_01_z1957_bmw_isetta_300si.jpg

Yeah, hill starting can be tough learning with a stick, although if you use the ebrake technique its not so bad.

I'd love an old 2002 Tii. :thu:

Here is an Isetta. So cool. :thu:

caep_0802_01_z1957_bmw_isetta_300si.jpg

That is too awesome. And people complain about Smart cars being too little. :)

Check out the entry/egress. :thu:

I have long thought that having one of these just for trips to the grocery and stuff would be awesome.

bmw_isetta.jpg

Those are pretty awesome.

I learned to drive stick in San Fran and Monterey. It wasn't so bad.

I can definitely see myself cruising around the Côte d'Azur or Amalfi in one of these:
204-6.JPG

smoking like a chimney with a beautiful Italian woman on my arm. :grin:

The first car I owned was a funky little European car. It was an MG Authi - the Spanish import name for the MG-S 1300.

46-1.jpg

The guy that lives across the street from work has one of these, yellow and white... Nash Metropolitan.

1957-Nash-Metropolitan.jpg

I myself had a 72 Triumph Spitfire way back when.

and this little gem for a while.

BlackCar.jpg

Back